Hi From Down Under

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue_Rock

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Simon... I am a tool-a-holic.

I've been lurking and posting the odd message for over a year now and I thought it about time to introduce myself.

I live in Canberra (Australia's capital) and my interests include both metalwork and woodwork, but lately it seems more machining work than anything else.

I've always wanted to have a go at machining and a couple of years ago I bought a 9x20 lathe and an X2 mini mill, not to mention the tooling that goes with them, my latest purchase was a Vertex rotary table... very nice!

Until recently, I've been making tools for the lathe on the mill and tools for the mill on the lathe... sound familiar?

I started building a Webster engine several months ago but it's a slow process as time is at a bit of a premium.

My goal is to improve my skills and once the Webster is running, make a flat 2 cylinder, a V2, a straight 4, V4, V6 and a V8.. probably in that order. Another project on the drawing board is a CNC router with a cutting envelope of about 800mm x 500mm x 200mm.

I've learnt heaps from HMEM members' posts and I am totally blown away with the fine work that is showcased here :bow:

I really appreciate the time that people take to document the stuff they do.

Here a few photos of my shed... I even tidied it up a bit and found those viton O-rings I'd been looking high and low for ;D

Regards

Simon

Shop_1.jpg

Shop_2.jpg

Hi Simon,

I to am a newbie here as well and am also in Canberra.

I love metal work but have been restricted to cutting, welding, grinding and drilling projects. Funding approval has been granted for a lathe in the new year (we are just in the process of buying our first investment house so need to get that out of the way first) but it is frustrating waiting.

Welcome to this wonderful forum.

Dave.

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the madness!!!!

Looks like you have a great shop there!
We are honored that you tidied up a bit but we like to see working machines! :big:

Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Andrew

Welcome Simon - I'm just up the road a bit!

G'day Simon. Welcome to the club. Great looking workshop

"Welcome Simon - I'm just up the road a bit!"

Hello Simon, welcome-I'm just up the globe a bit! :big:

Peter

wEc1 Simon

On your way between Tel's and Catminer's, feel free to drop in at Brissie for a cuppa.

you'll need a rest before the big swim :big:

Bez

Welcome to the forum Simon.
thats a great looking workshop you have. :'(

Hi Simon, wEc1,I'm just up the hill so call in any time your heading north.

Best wishes
Ian.

Simon,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

PS The Adelaide area now has 4 members here, Gavin aka gjn, Herbie aka Herbie, Barry aka moanaman and yours truly.

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes.

It's great to see so many fellow Aussies here on the Forum.

Dave, that's a nice looking bike you have there and the AL-1000 lathe looks like a good choice. I've had to fiddle around with my lathe a fair bit to get a decent amount of rigidity (it took all my will power to not include a double entendre here). It's OK now but I am on the look out for better, similar-sized lathe, same goes for the mill.

My workshop is generally a bit of a mess, mainly new stuff I bring in as well as offcuts, swarf, filings and sawdust. I bought the book Machine Shop Trade Secrets a while back and one of the author's many useful tips was to put 10 tools back in their place whenever you enter/leave the workshop. I've found that by following this regime, everthing stays much tidier and I don't waste so much time looking for stuff... except for those bloody O-rings :-[

I've been meaning to start a thread for my Webster build, but I'm so slow with building it, it's embarrising.

Enjoy your weekends, I'm going out to make some chips ;D

Back