Hi everyone

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Another Aussie on the site. After checking out the forum for a few weeks I finally
joined up.

A bit about myself, I’m a retired toolmaker who specialized in intricate press tools, jigs, fixtures etc. I worked at the same place all my working life and ended up owning it the last 10 years. Because of a few medical issues I decided to retire early back in 2003 at 51 years of age.

Working life was very hectic so I did not have much time for hobby machining, and since retirement have been kept busy with some research work for a friends company. Now the time has come when I can continue with my hobby of making steam / air operated engines. The first thing to do is retrieve my machines from where they are stored and move them to the garage of my new house. I have a turret mill, (similar to a Bridgeport), mid size lathe, cutter grinder, bench grinders and a lot of tooling that I kept when I sold my business. Once I’m set up I will post some picks of my shop.

I have a partially completed twin cylinder marine engine, 15/16” bore x 1” stroke, that I started about 10 years ago but had no time to finish, that’s one of the first things that I will finish. I’ve also started designing a 5 cylinder radial on my CAD system, similar to the Liney Halo, this will keep me busy until I can get the machines set up. I’m looking forward to taking an active part on this forum.

Regards,

Paul.

Welcome to the forum Swifty. Looking forward to your pictures. wEc1

Regards,
Rudy

Paul,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

welcome sounds like you can dust off the tools and away you go.
Tin

Welcome Paul. It sounds like you have what you need equipment wise...and now the time to put it to good use as well!!

Bill

Hiya Paul. Looking forward to seeing your machines and some of your work.

*Oh groan* not another one from the land of OZ ;D Just kidding really Paul. Welcome wEc1 I truly enjoyed reading the details in your introduction and am looking forward to seeing what you can do as it were. Get some new batteries for your camera as we all love to see pictures and lots of them as work-in-progress shots. Is that marine twin you spoke of made to a specific set of drawings or is it your own concept?

BC1
Jim

Hi Jim,

I purchased a set of drawings and castings for the engine a long time ago. Must have about 80% of it finished.

I will get all the bits together and post a photo soon.

Paul.

Here is a photo of what I started about 10 years ago, as soon as I have my shop set up again I will finish it off.

Paul.

IMG_2264.jpg

Hi Swifty
That has the makings of a lovely Engine!
Get stuck in Mate ;D
Wellcome
Pete

Latest posts

Back