Hi All!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1975Beetle

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
Just a little introduction, as I've been browsing around, looking for a place like this for a while, I am currently in college pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering, I like to work on cars, currently restoring/customizing a 1975 Beetle-link to that- http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507394

I have quite a bit of machine work under my belt, I enjoy building things, and like plastic models, so I figure this stuff is a step up from all that. I am currently building my own mini lathe(slow progress), and hope to use that for some of the work I plan on doing.

So far I have researched...researched...and researched some more. And although probably not the wisest decision, have decided to jump head first in designing a IC engine, 4 stroke, 4 cylinder, to kind of look like the flat four VW engine. I want it to run on gas, but nitro hobby store fuel would be fine as well...If I even get it to run, personally just being able to build it up so it turns, but doesn't run will be fine with me too.

I'll try to post some pictures up later of some of my basic design work. I have been using Solidworks for most of the process, kind-of "winging" it on some dimensions, but I figured rough for now, till I can get down to actually figuring the final details, like CR, actual Bore X Stroke, cam timing, etc..

That's it for now, I look forward to your input and help as needed.

Why not try a 2 stroke boxer configuration, may be a bit easier for a 1st build. I'm currently drawing up a flat 8 2stroke boxer in solidworks. Hope 2 start build soon

Back