Hi all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

Reaction score
Hi All

I have lurked around HMEM for a little while now, both as a guest and member, and thought it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Shaun from Melbourne, Australia.
I have always been interested in cars and models, then one night I stumbled acrossa Myford ML7 woohoo1

1.jpg
3.jpg

I spent the next week or so researching the Myford ML7 lathe, before I knew it I had spoken to the owner, made an offer and organised a weekend to pick it up (~1,650km round trip) all sight unseen, except of course for a couple of photos.
My experience in metal work is limited, actually I don't have any ???

Once I had it home, closer inspection revealed work was required to repair/replace broken and missing items to restore it back to factory condition. A quick Google on lathe rebuilds led me here where I read an inspiring Myford ML7 lathe rebuild thread. The lathe is functional, so the plan is to learn to use the lathe while repairing the lathe.

Cheers

Shaun

welcome You've come to the right place their is lots to see and learn here. When are you getting a mill. Ha Ha you know that is in your future .Glad to have you. Dale

G'day Shaun. Welcome to HMEM. I'm in Adelaide. Hope all goes well with the Myford. I heard the factory shut down earlier this year so you might have to do a bit of scrounging for parts, but well worth the effort.

Gday from the west coast. Nice myford mate. Should keep you amused.

Brock

Hi Shaun;

Dale's right you might as well make room for a mill.

Peter

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

dalem9 said:
welcome You've come to the right place their is lots to see and learn here. When are you getting a mill. Ha Ha you know that is in your future .Glad to have you. Dale

A small mill is definitely on the horizon, but first things first, get the lathe repaired.

Herbiev said:
I heard the factory shut down earlier this year so you might have to do a bit of scrounging for parts, but well worth the effort.

The factory did shut down, but I have seen spare parts are available online from Myford, who I beleive was bought out by another distributor.

I would like to have a go at making the parts on the lathe where possible, rather than source a replacement. We'll see how it goes.

Herbiev said:
Hope all goes well with the Myford.

Thank you

Hello and welcome Shaun, Myfords are great hobby lathes its a pity they don't make them any more :(
Stew

Shaun,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Shaun - plenty of ML7 users on here, including yours truly, so don't be shy.

Latest posts

Back