Hey, another poppin flame licker with belt driven fan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice going Kel your little engine really hums. This is all new to me so I hope you don't mind a question. If you keep running your engine will it lock up from heat? Anyway you did a great job. Jack B

Jack,
When I first put the engine together I fit the piston dry till it was a verry close fit, on the jan ridders web site he explaines that the piston fit should be as follows.- while holding the cylinder up and down and plugging the bottom with your finger, the piston should not fall, when you take your finger off the piston should fall quickly and withoput resistance. Also this test is done without oil. Note: my piston is made out of leaded steel 12L14

anyway I followed these intructions and when It was time to get it running i put a little powdered graphite in the cylinder. and that is all I have done as far as lubrication is concerned.

Now the engine has ran many times and It has run for over 2 hours straight (ok just enough time to get the burner refilled a couple times) It does this the entire time between 800 and 1100 rpm, and the tempreture levels off at around 200 degrees farenheit. I continue to run the engine regularly without fail. In fact when I get done writing this post Ime going in the basement for another run.

Kel

Very nice work.

I see you are a bit like myself. When just sitting at my bench, wearing away brain cells, I get mine off the shelf and have it running, it gives the shop a bit of background music.

Blogs

Excellent Kel,

I can't wait to get mine finished but for some reason have no energy to go into the garage at the moment, I seem to have stalled - I'm such a long way off. :-\

NickG said:
Excellent Kel,

I can't wait to get mine finished but for some reason have no energy to go into the garage at the moment, I seem to have stalled - I'm such a long way off. :-\

Hey I can relate to that! With snow shoveling and the like I find when I finally get time I just want to vegetate for awhile :big:
Don't worry it will hit you again and you won't be able to resist and you'll finish ;D

Well once an engine is running its time to make it purdy.

I decides to go with walnut and mohogony base held together with brass pins, sittin on 4 brass legs. Then I went ahead and made a burner that was built into the base. I felt the proportion with a big burner bottle was too long, looked funny. So I made the base as short as I could.

I made the burner tank out of the brass kickplate that ,until yesterday, was attached to my backdoor.(I found the door in the garbage) I hid it inside the base and made two "spouts" , one for the wick tube and another for the "Gas Cap".

Then, I decided it was not quit done until it was doing something.(this little popper design offers a tiny bit of usable power) So I decided to make a radiatior fan. This was also completed using the same brass kickplate. (I have alot left too) The fan is 1 inch diameter with the blades cut freehand with a dremel and then bent to an undetermined degree. (I love to get scientific, ha ha) Then I made a brass disk out of a 1 3/16 bar with a 1 inch hole in the middle, I bent a small peice of the kickplate around it and soldered it in place. Mounted it all up, made a belt out of some mystery material I have that glues well and works like a champ for belts. (verry precious)

anyway, here is the finished product.

Congrats!

I like those engines. I think for most people, an open flame is mesmerizing and they have to question how the thing works. I'm currently one of those people but hope to someday make one and understand.

Very nice.

Nice job! It's a nice runner ans nice job on the fan!

Wow, incredible running at that speed whilst driving something aswell now. You've certainly made yours individual now Kel. Brilliant!

Nice work.

Smooth (fast running) too.

I like the idea of it driving something..

Hi Kel
I just run your video with the volumn up. My wife is sitting on the other side of the room and said" wow that engine sounds great".
I agree you did a very nice job. Congratulations. Jack B

Latest posts

Back