Help on old virtical steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smuttley

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been asked if I can help an old boy fix up his vertical boiler steam engine, I have built wobble's and many Stirling engines but never anything like this. I can not figure out the missing crank on main flywheel. The single cylinder has thankfully still got the con rod attached but I am not sure of the function of the hole that is on the side block besides the outside cylinder wall (see pic one).

hole-one-side-of-cylinder-449.jpg

I have attached picture of the engine plus the main shaft and cylinder block. Any one got picturs or a site that maybe able to point me in the right direction,

Thanks guys,

Steve

100_0068-452.jpg

100_0067-453.jpg

100_0066-454.jpg

Thanks guys,

Not been able to get the piston out as yet as the nut is seized and needs some work to get it moving, but after you explanation and slid a piece of wire up the hold and yes feels like three ports or holes on the cylinder side.

I will ask the old chap if he has some photo’s of how it use to look and reference,

Thanks again,

Steve

typical spool valves are controlled by eccentrics .Like others said a common designs. yo will need the valve a conecting rod and an eccentric.
tin

I googled eccentric and was a bit shocked with the results:rolleyes: But I got you drift with lifting rod to control porting.... I thinks

Steve

Looks like this
Tin

Eccentric_animation.gif

Animation link to wicapedia

Back