Help on model engine tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the record guys, air cooled aircraft engine cylinders are slightly choked at the top to compensate for the difference in expansion between the cylinder base and the head. Not tapered exactly but not straight either.

Rick

I've just been offered enough new steel to lift the front wheels of my car for £100.
I settled for a modest £40 which was less than a fill of Diesel.

On Sunday is the offer of £30 wood routers- with a guarantee of 3 years.

Now somebody is prattling about aircooled engines. My memory suggests that Most people who worked on them are either dead or batting on at over 90 years. I was sort of in the Cold War and I'm 88.

I doubt things are remotely first hand

Sorry

Norman- who was a RAF Corporal in 1948-50.
Got one remaining mate who worked on Gypsies and Gypsie Queens.

I seem to recall the air servicing publications were AP1525 and 1526 and AP 4270 and 4271

Last edited:
Hi Daniel !
Too much information for beginner!
I think you should listen ShopShoe

Daniel,

One more thought: You don't say whether you have made any other engines before. I would suggest if you have not, then try building a simple air-powered single-cylinder engine first and made from bar stock. There are many free plans available and many posts on this forum about getting started.

--ShopShoe

or made 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine one cylinder.
Either rely on the free draw and modify it with machines you have. You will get a lot of help from the members of the forum (I received not only guides,...)
Experience, skills ... you will learning a lot when you finish your first project, and things you are not sure about it .

Back