Help Me!! Math

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just going to call it a problem and go and hide somewhere. ???

Roy

To convert a number in scientific notation to conventional notation...

Move the decimal to the left (if exponent negative) or right (if exponent positive) the number of places designated by the exponent, inserting zeroes as needed.

0.123E-2 = 0.0123E-1 = 0.00123E0 = 0.00123

1.234E4 = 12.34E3 = 123.4E2 = 1234E1 = 12340E0 = 12340

If you're too lazy to learn any math, then enter the number into your SCIENTIFIC calculator. (It will have an 'E' key for entering the exponent.) Then change the display to display the number in 'fixed' notation.

:big: :big: :big:

With due apologies to Steve :bow:

mklotz said:
Rof}

enter the number into your SCIENTIFIC calculator. (It will have an 'E' key for entering the exponent.)
On some calculators it's the "EXP" button. And the "F<->E" button will convert between fixed and scientific notation... There's a whole can of worms in "driving" a calculator as well ::) - sometimes it's necessary to read the operating instructions... OK - I KNOW I used foul language now, but I'm a bit of a masochist :big: I'm just glad that button with the "F<->E" does not have a "U" instead of the "E" ::)

Regards, Arnold

ShedBoy said:
How do you measure with that accuracy reliably?
Better yet how do you machine to that accuracy?

You don't. The number is the square inch of my new combustion chamber design. I need an accurate number to calculate the compression ratio. That number gets converted to cc's and I prefer to keep the highest degree of accuracy until the final number is calculated.

MKlotz, I'm sorry you had to see this.

Learning math is like reading the classics. Everyone wants to be able to say they've done it but no one wants to spend the time to actually do it.

If I took everything I don't know, I could fill a book! ;D

mklotz said:
Learning math is like reading the classics. Everyone wants to be able to say they've done it but no one wants to spend the time to actually do it.
Like reading some classics maths can be very hard going. To the people who can make a living from it like yourself Marv :bow:

Brock

Latest posts

Back