Help ID these castings.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generatorgus

Reaction score
I found this set of castings at a swap meet last weekend, and of course, I have no idea what I bought, but I like it. I know there's an engine in there somewhere. ;D Question is, what did I buy? The flywheels are 6 1/2" Dia. and OA length of engine will be in the 13"/14" range when set up. There are some numbers on the castings, but I can't read much of them. Looks like a project.
GUS
DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

Calahan, Fairbanks N Star Not sure. this is the time of yar for engine shows so take some pics to the local shows some exhibitor may have the answer. Unless it is an old casting set or a shop made one of it should not be that difficult there are only a handfll of companies that make and sell casting kits.
Tin

It looks exactly like my Wyvern. That is quite a find, not too many casting sets for the Wyvern around today.
Lonnie

Kits are still available from Hemmingway in the UK and I think Iowa Miniature Engines on your side of the pond.

Both may be able to supply the missing castings but I would say they could all be fabricated of cut from solid.

J

Guys, thanks for the quick ID and the links. It's quite a nice looking engine and looks like it will make quite a project. I had an idea that I would like to build something on this order from scratch someday, having these castings will save a lot of work/play.
The castings are bare bones, nothing came with them, bearing caps and cylinder Head would have been nice. I'll check with the suppliers and see if I can get the plans and missing castings. There's a lot of small parts to make, it looks like quite a challenge, for my still developing skill level.
The more I look at them, I think these castings look like they may have been recast from the originals. There are some air bubbles and some sand breakouts, especially on the cylinder, lots of cleanup needed.
GUS

Hemingway lists the prints on there site.
Tin

Another to put on my "to do list" :big:
I really like the intake valve and throttled carby setup.
nice score
Pete

Latest posts

Back