hello from South Africa

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camnefdt

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Cameron. came across this sight while researching a project that i would one day like to undertake (model v8, which i want to stick in an rc car).

I am interested in the general engineering of engines in general but have no experience building anything of the sort and only have a few hours experience on a lathe and milling machine.

I am only 21 so still got alot to learn, but have always enjoyed working with my hands, and in the near future, plan to buy a lathe and milling machine.

Cam

Reactions: gus
Hi there Cam. (Good name for an engine builder :) )

Grab a set of plans for one of the simpler engines, and go at it. The EZ engine you see on this site is one you can make and enjoy some quick success at without a lot of tooling. Be careful though. It may be small simple looking engine, but it is a sort of gateway drug to a much bigger engine building addiction.

Reactions: gus
iv got a few plans for various engines, ranging from single cylinder 2 strokes to 9 cylinder rotary engines, and even a few v8 plans, which is the ones i want to attempt, will do it as my first engine build, perhaps a stupid thing on my side ^^ but will still be a few years before i even get a chance to start the build, so for now will be researching and redesigning the plans i have to suite my needs :).

Hey Cam,
A V8 with RC is really ambitious. Hang ten bru.
Ant

i know ^^ but would just be so awesome to have a nice large sized rc truck with a realistic looking v8 in it. . .

cam

Hi there Cam. (Good name for an engine builder :) )

Grab a set of plans for one of the simpler engines, and go at it. The EZ engine you see on this site is one you can make and enjoy some quick success at without a lot of tooling. Be careful though. It may be small simple looking engine, but it is a sort of gateway drug to a much bigger engine building addiction.

Hi Cam,

I agree with Brian's good advice. Simple single acting oscillating engines will a good start.Same engines are very forgiving if you are out by a wee bit. Be forewarned this hobby is very relaxing and addictive.
I have a hard time tearing myself away to go fishing weekends.My fotos tells the truth.

thanks gus :)

need a lathe and milling machine before i start anything so will still be a while ^^

Latest posts

Back