Hello from Norway

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orjan72

Reaction score
Hi,

I just got my first lathe. Quite a scary purchase as I have no formal machining training or experience.
I have fiddled with cars and bikes and have relied on learning what I need by self study fueled by interest.
I now want to get into building various models as well as helping out with spare parts etc. for family and friends.
I have got my eyes on a flame gluper/fire eater/atmosferic engine for starters. I also want to get my hands on a marine steam engine project and of course eventually an IC engine.
I guess I will advance in difficulty as I learn.
I have no mill drilling facility yet, and will have to equip my lathe with a tilt table/vertical table for drilling and milling.

I got a good deal (In Norwegian pricerange... :-\ ) on a Weiss WM 280 V-F.
It has a swing over bed of 280mm and a distance betw. centers of 700mm
Variable speed and quite a few functions I just getting to grips with :)

Hope you folks can find the time to send a newbie on the right path and help out when my brain and preferably before my fingers come up short.

I like the look and tone of this forum as I spendt some time here reading various tips and hints. ( I must confess to sneaking a peek at the pics of your workshops and felt utterly jealous. I spendt the next day recovering from ATAD ( Acute Tool Aquisition Disorder).

All the best,
Orjan

Welcome to the forum Orjan, pull up a chair, drink coffee and have a chat.. :)

Welcome to the forum Orjan! ATAD huh? I like that...something we all suffer from at times. I am sure we would all love to see a picture of your new lathe as well.

As to first projects, the fire eaters/atmospheric engines are interesting but by most accounts can be a bit difficult to get running well, so in that regard you may want to break that new lathe in on a more forgiving air powered engine. There is an abundance of plans around both on this forum and other places too.

Above all, have fun and join in the discussions here.

Regards,

Bill

Welcome to the forum Orjan.
Best of luck with your first build...looking forward to your thread.
It's lots of fun here!

Her she is, in all her glory.
Sorry about the fuzzy pic, my phonecamera is not quite stable it seems...

Orjan

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089.jpg

Nice looking lathe Orjan. Thanks for posting the pics.

Bill

Orjan,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Nice lathe Orjan. You'll find lots of capable help and encouragement here. Welcome. wEc1

Rudy

wEc1 Orjan hope you have loads of fun with the new lathe,and with full length fingers :big: :big:

Hi Ørjan.
Welcome to HMEM, stay tuned. wEc1
HEIA BRANN. Rof}
Nice lathe BTW ;D
CS

Hello and welcome Orjan,
Just take your time and if you're not sure about something, brother you're at the right place to get an answer.
Have fun, enjoy the new lathe.

Cajun

Thanks for the welcome people!
I got carried away and got straight into building ;D

The more time I spend on this site, the more fantastic projects I discover, what an amazing amount of talent there is in here!
I must confess to sneaking a peak even at work :-[

The team building seams like a stroke of genius, cudos to the man who came up with that idea!!
I definetly want to join in on one of those, if only to make holes ;D

All the best!
Orjan

Back