Hello from New Hampshire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan Machine Worrks

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I signed up about a week ago and have been reading for 14 hrs and 30 min, So I figured its time to introduce myself, I'm really enjoying this forum and all the interesting projects. :bow:

My interest lie in stationary steam engines, I'm currently waiting on a casting set for a compound condensing vertical marine steam engine. (called the Engineers Compound) from Elliot Bay Steam Launch Co. Its going to be about a 4-5 week wait I'm told. :-\

I'm also engaged in scaling up a Stuart triple 100% where as I myself, kinda find more interest in larger engines. These two will be My first projects. ;D

I have my home shop in the ground level garage / basement of my house. It was along project to get finished. I was originally going to build a 1.5 scale live steam engine, but lost interest because of not wanting to have to move it around to peoples tracks. :shrug:

That's it for now

Roland

Nice to meet you Roland, you will like it here.

Is that your CNC in your avitar?

I look forward to your large steam builds.

-B-

Welcome to HMEM Roland.

Rick

Hi -B-

Yes the cnc is mine in my shop Its a FADAL 3016 FX with a fanuc control, it was one of those thing where I had some money to spend and I could of bought an airplane, a boat or maybe a corvette but I bought a cnc machine. The reason is back around 1997 I found this Wells Index 500 knee mill at a local shop for a song.
The mill had a Bosh Alpha 3 control on it that was full of error codes. I spent months trying this and that to get it working but to no avail, So I bought a rebuilt control and installed that and it worked but for some reason I could not store any programs in memory.
So removed the control and sent out for an estimate for a repair, they said 4500.00 I said no way and they sent it back and it never work again. :mad: They made sure of that! So after about a year I decided to retro fit a Camsoft and Galil control. I started to install the ICM 2900 and researched the internet for info and read all the nightmares about get everything configured then I got scared and listed and sold the retro stuff ebay and junked the mill and told myself if I ever get any money I'm going to buy a new cnc.

Roland

You lost me... So you scraped the one in the pic or a different one?
either way I would love to have a cnc that size, I only have a small one.
it does its job but not a big job.
-B-

No, its a different one than whats pictured a Wells Index 500 knee mill sort of a clone of a bridgeport miller

ooooooh ok, I dont know many machines.
How many axis does it support.
I am designing a 5 axis table sort of like a router table or a plasma, to upgrade the size parts I can produce.
It is slow going but Im in no hurry.

Three axis XYZ and a 21 station tool changer, its capable of 4th axis but I don't have it. The tooling is cat 40 I have MC X2 software

Here's a couple Photos.

Fadal FX.jpg

Fadal 3016 FX.jpg

Roland,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Roland, are you intending to put your engine in a boat or is it an end in itself? John

Latest posts

Back