Hello from Florida

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello everyone
I joined HMEM in 2009 and have followed many builds here. being new to forums at the time I never posted any messages or build information.
I'm sorry for being a lurker for too long
when I joined I had just purchased a 9x20 lathe and a small mill from HF. my interest was in building small engines but I possessed no knowledge of machine work at all. A mic looked like a c-clamp to me...I was a 37 year journeyman auto mechanic. with only the internet to assist me I set out to build a replica of the Yulee Sugar Mill in Homosassa Florida. My first prototype was to just see if I could build a running engine and It looked bad but still runs great so onward I went. The original mill Is missing most of it's parts and from the mounting holes on the frames and a year of research into late 1840's early 1850's mill engines I had determined what was there and approximately what it would have look like in the late 1840's.
the next problem was I didn't have the tools or knowledge to accomplish what I wanted to do. so I started building my own tools, vises, rotary table, rotary index, gear cutters everything. I cast all the aluminum to make what I needed because I didn't have the funds to purchase anything because I had been disabled with a back injury and 6 spine surgeries.
time's changed and so did my funds, seeing that I'm not talented enough to do the machining myself I turned to building my own CNC machines, first were sherline mill and lathe, Then converting my 9x20 lathe and my zx45 mill. now I help others build their own machines and set up Mach3 all over the world.
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures here I will show my equipment and shop in a thread.
to see my projects on Youtube.com and some Cad/Cam videos look up " jumps42009" on Youtube. I have over 50 videos there.
I posted the mill running video here at http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f14/yulee-sugar-mill-model-23182/
thanks for viewing
steve

Wow steve I guess this proves that the most valuable tools are perseverance and patience. will look at the slide show when time permits. the brain and the hands do the work the mechanical machines just make it easier.

Tin

Latest posts

Back