Hello From Dekalb, Illinois

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolijar

Reaction score
Been lurking for awhile figured it was time to sign up and say hello. My name is Jeff Olijar I am 24 years old and currently going to college to get a degree in mechanical engineering. Before that I was in the Navy for four years working on some of the finest aircraft around P3-C Orion's. I have always had a fascination with model engines of all types and I plan to build several soon. I also build and fly control line airplanes. If you have any questions for me I don't bite so feel free to ask.

Greetings and welcome Jeff. You'll find a number of mechanical engineers here as well as engineers of every type. While not a mechanical engineer myself (electrical for me), I have several mechanical engineers on my team at work and I can vouch that despite what you might hear, most of them are regular folks, just like the rest of us. stickpoke

I do have one question: Don't you get dizzy spinning around while flying a control line aircraft? Never could see the attraction when you could go free flight.

-Trout

at first you do but after awhile it doesn't bother you. I like Control line over FF and RC because you can feel the airplane pull against you when you do maneuvers, you can almost always see it, and you never (well almost never) have to go more then 65' to recover your airplane.

Hi Jeff and welcome,control line ,I thought that was dead and buried years ago,I used to fly them when I was 16 and believe me that was a long long time ago ;D
Don

Hi Jeff and welcome. I am certainly old enough to remember control like planes too and in my teens several friends and I use to go out to the schoolyard in the afternoons and fly 1/2A planes. Eventually I did fly some bigger planes...just had to remember to keep the kinks out of the control wires :big: Enjoy your time here and jump right in.

Regards,
Bill

Welcome to the forum Jeff.

jolijar said:
and you never (well almost never) have to go more then 65' to recover your airplane.

Yeah, you can end up walking quite a distance. Over here for that part, over there for this part, there's that piece that ended up there,...gotta get a shovel, etc. It's been years for me but it sure was fun.

Hi Jeff,
Welcome.
I should have tried control line. I rememer losing rockets all the time when I was a teen.
T

Hi i hope you is having fun regards bob from the uk durham city

Greetings Jeff and welcome. I'm just 'up the road' (I-88) from you in good old "naperdale"(aka: Naperville ;D). I don't get out your way too often but if you are ever in my neck of the woods, you are welcome to stop in for a visit or meet up for a cup of Joe around here somewhere.

BC1
Jim

Jeff,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back