Hello all.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishy-steve

Reaction score
Hi all.
I came across this site whilst researching my first engine build. The Nemett Lynx.
I've just received the bearings and timing belt pulleys/belt.
I now need to find a supplier of Alumnium in the UK.

A bit about myself.
I served my apprenticeship at British Alcan as a fitter/turner. Having completed my apprenticeship I worked in the central engineering workshops. I carried out general machining in our well equiped machine shop.
I enjoyed the work. We never knew what was coming in next.
I had free reign of all the machines. We had about 10 lathes. From large Monarchs to Colchester students. My personal favourites were the toolroom DSGs.
We had Parkson, KandT and Bridgeport mills. Also a horizontal borer whose name escapes me.
Grinders of all shapes and sizes.
I worked with guys who had been machinists for 30+ years and all of them willing to share their knowledge.
Unfortunately the powers that be decided they didn't need a machine shop anymore and I found myself redundant at 30 years of age!
Don't get me started on whats happened to manufacturing in the UK.
I now work as a Maintenance engineer. We have a lathe and miller but I don't get to use them much and I miss machining.
I've been putting a home workshop together for about a year and am now about ready to start my first build.
I have a Boxford AUD and a Tom senior M1 with a vertical head. I also have dividing head and rotary table and lots of tooling.

I look forward to being an active member of the forum.
Thanks.
Steve.

Welcome Steve, you certainly have a good training to be able to make engines. Unfortunately here in Australia we are having the same problem with the demise of engineering companies, especially toolmakers. Imported tooling and parts, and the impending closure of all car manufactures is a lot to blame.

Paul.

Back