Height gauge question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

substandard

Reaction score
I just got my order in from Shars for a 9x12 surface plate and a 6" dial height gauge, and to be brutally honest I am confused.

The height gauge has a "wedge type" carbide point, can this be used to scribe a layout line or is it just there to eliminate wear on the contact point? I have heard of people using height gauges to scribe lines, but I was picturing a round point on the gauge, sort of like a pocket scribe.

Here is a link to the gauge I bought if that helps:

http://www.shars.com/products/view/2109/6quot_Dial_Height_Gage

Thanks for the help :) Sub

I use mine to scribe layout lines on a regular basis.
Tin

I also do a lot of layout with mine, just make sure you only sharpen the top sloping face when it needs touching up, that way the bottom stays parallel to the base plate.

Also don't knock the hardened edge as the corners can chip :-[

Jason

Substandard,
I have almost exactly the same setup. I use the end to scribe layout lines as well. If the end was round it would be difficult to determine the center of the point.

One of the uses I have for it is for centerlines on round stock. I measure the O.D. as accurately as possible (micrometer). I set the height gauge to the top of the cylinder and subtract half of my measurement. Rotate 90 degrees (not a critical measurement) and scribe again. The intersection is the center.

Hope that helps,
Sean

Thanks for the replies. :bow:

I just wanted to clarify before I took it to the shop and did something stupid. I was using a square and hand scribe to layout lines, but was having difficulty in getting the accuaracy I wanted so I thought this would be a better set up.

Latest posts

Back