Head Gasket Or Sealent

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLM

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
What works best for a head gaskets on these model engines, do you make gaskets or is there a liquid that will work. I was wondering if copper kote would work. I am building a Holt model and gaskets would be small to work with. On my hit - mis engines i used gasket material but they are some what bigger and had no problem.

What would work best for a Holt it has a 1 inch bore and 7 head bolts?

Thanks for an reply's Don In Pueblo Co

hi dlm, i have use permatex liquid gasket. i just put on a thin layer on both sides and it has worked real good .i have used it on my powerhouse i/c and farmboy hit and miss. good luck jonesie

there is a gasket eliminator product by loctite that i used on john deere tractor transmission cases to eliminate gasket creep deteriation between the heavy castings. you clean the surfaces with loctite surface primer and apply the sealant. when the parts are bolted up it cures into a plastic gasket that seals all the machine marks and allows the parts to torque up metal to metal with a oil and gas tite seal. some of the surfaces in the hydraulic systems reach a temp of close to 300 degrees. a little bit goes a long way . it may be worth a try. good luck Richard

I use standard gasket material paper. Works well for me.

On an engine like the Holt you can use Teflon sheet or this product from McMaster-Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-gaskets/=fejlu3
This is what I have on my Holt at the moment. It has held up very well and has never blown or burned out.
Over the years I have used sealers, paper, copper sheet etc. but have had the best luck with either Teflon or this.
gbritnell

If you need teflon sheet, I can supply it. We use it to protect optical tools when machining the back, and once it gets the slightest nick in it, they toss it out.

It is .010" thick virgin teflon. I would not recommend you use it with steam, as I am not sure of the melting temp. But for air powered engines or sliding surfaces it works great. PM me your snail mail address if you'd like some.

Hi Don,

One benefit of using gasket material is that you can adjust the compression ratio in the cylinder with it.
This can help if the engine will not run because the compression is a bit too high.

OK I admit, you can only lower the compression with the gasket, but raising it is a matter of skimming, and that should not be too hard to do.

Rleete, I like the teflon sheets idea, and I wish you could send me some, but I live too far away. Good offer though, thanks.

Lykle

I agree with the Teflon gaskets, it does not adhere to the surfaces and can be reused.
I have also created a die and cut household aluminum foil, used in layers you can alter the thickness.
The built up foil gasket conforms well, seals dry, and has solved cyl.head and carburetor overheating problems on a throttled engine.

Peter

Lykle, where are you located? Send me a PM with your address.

Latest posts

Back