Harbor freight Lathe/mill/drill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerssteamtoys

Reaction score
Since joining this forum, I have increased my thoughts to machining stuff. Problem is I need to have something to machine with. So I looked at the Harbor freight catalog and saw the perfect thing. A lathe/mill/drill all in one.Does anyone have something similar to this? I have not bought it yet, at $487 its pushing my budget. I'm saving money tho.

Those little all-in-one machines can do a little bit of everything
but they don't do any of them very well.

I've had an opportunity to play with one.
I can't offer a positive opinion.

Maybe someone else here can.

Rick

Best advice is to save some more and get a separate lathe and mill. You could get a x2 and a mini lathe for a little over twice that much. Maybe even buy used? Even at $487 you have to add in the cost of tooling... so double that amount anyway. I know some people do make some nice things with the all in ones... but it is difficult.

Eric

Yep, hasten slowly Ranger. It's taken me 30+ years to get my workshop together and I'm almost there (I thing) look around for a good 2nd hand lathe for starters. Add a vertical slide when you can ...

Ok, So this probably isnt what I want. It looks a little compact to me, maybe a bigger one of these would be better. Or just a mini lathe for $369.

The mini lathe would probably be a better starting point, let you get the feel of things. And you can always trade up.

Most of us in this game are in it for the long haul, and I suspect you are as well. Take your time and get something you'll be happy with.

I think for a kid a little 3 in one machine is about all you need. Youre not going to be able to spend the several thousands of dollars to buy all the essentials a grownup hobbiest would need..And youre just a few years away from College concerns and chasing girls and trying to keep a good car running - all expensive , time consuming endeavors that will compete with any sort of metalsworking hobby that you start now....
I note that my stated opinion on this matter is not going to be applauded by anybody else but I come by my opinions honestly, didnt just read'em on a computer, I been pushing tools for 30 years, I have all that sort of stuff that I can afford. I certainly have paid my dues.

Personally I would rather have the 3 in 1 machine. I may not be able to do much with it, but I couldn't do much with anyhing else. I will learn how to work the machine and make some thing. All I really want to make is an eccentric and a bell crank, to make a water pump wrok off an engine.

At the risk of offending those that may have 3 in 1 machines, I have to second the opinion that that is NOT the way to go whether they be small or large. As the lab manager for the mechanical engineering technology labs at UNC Charlotte, we have 10 industrial sized Smithy's. While they are adequate for learning the very basics,and for completing simple projects, they are quite limited beyond that. I would far prefer working on the Sherline equipment I have at home, particularly for model work. I am sure the same is true for those with other "separate" machines such as grizzly, harbor freight, etc. There must always be a compromise when combining diverse tasks into one machine and in this case I don't think the 3 in 1's do it very well. I just received this week 2 new JET mills and 2 13x40 geared head lathes so that the ME students can experience the difference and to better follow the text and lecture portion of the class which deals with more standard types of industrial equipment...I hope to continue to change out the Smithy's in favor of separates.

With very limited funds I think I might try the all-in-one.

Another option would be to get a lathe (a good starter option would be the ubiguitous 9x20). Get an angle plate and vice for the cross slide so you can use it for limited milling as well as turning parts. When you have a little more money you can get a small drill press to drill holes when needed. That would allow you to make quite a few things on a tight budget.

I'd be inclined to counsel going with a lathe first and purchasing a small milling accessory to fit the cross slide. I know it's a less than ideal compromise, but it leaves the option to economically go with the separate mill at a later date. It would allow just about the same limited milling capability as the 3 in 1 option without being stuck with less than full satisfaction with either function.

I have few doubts that Ranger will be capable of catching on pretty quickly. As his posts show, he's a quick study with a fair grasp of some important basics already. Either way, I'm not going to be much surprised to see him take to machining like a duck takes to water.

Steve

No one has mentioned it yet so I will...

Check for community colleges, etc. in your area that still have machining courses. I know that the college with which our club is associated is always hungry for students to keep their courses alive and are willing to let folks work on their own projects after they've had the basic safety and machine operation training. Since many students work full time, evening classes are not uncommon.

Marv
Good advice. I've been trying to do just that, but the local community university course requires at least 3 people to trigger the class. So far, I've not had any luck finding 2 more people willing to apply. Their CAD/CAM and CNC courses are fairly popular but the manual machines continue to gather dust. I wish Bill's UNC course was closer by.

Steve

I have a mini lathe and I guess th X2 mill (Harbor Freight #s 33684 & 44991) and would really like an 8 to 10" lathe. I changed the motor controller on the mill which made it a much better machine, but the lathe is just too small. It is easier to work within the limitations of teh small mill, but the small lathe is really rather frustrating. I would love to find an old LeBlond 13 or 15 and a bridgeport type mill and that would really be the best for a small shop.

I have seen bigger lathes going for $600 to $1000 and you get more much more than twice for your money. The mini lathe is more of a second operation machine.

Steel over 3/4 is a real lesson in patience on a mini lathe. Small cutters on the mini mill is less of a problem because I would be using the same size cutters on a bridgeport for the projects I work on.

I still use my min lathe and mini mill and do manage to get stuff done. Just want to give you an idea of what the limitations are.

My mini lathe works about perfect with 5/16 bits. And I also got a 4 jaw chuck for it. A 4 jaw is easier to use on a bigger lathe.

For my mill I have a 2" boring head, 3" vise, a full set of collets and a cheap rotary table.

I would like to modify both machine so they use 0.05 pitch screws instead of the 1mm on teh lathe and the 1/16 (or 1.5 mm) on the mill.

I think I like having the separate lathe and mill as the 3-in-1 machine really look like a poor compromise.

Whatever you decide to buy - youwill figure out how to work within the limits (and sometimes outside) to accomplish what it is you want to do. I am sure that the guys with larger equipment still manage to take on those tasks that are just a bit bigger than they should really be doing.

I would love to have a 10", 15" and a 24" lathe, a long table Bridgeport and a #5 horizontal.... But for now I compromise...

Just my 2 cents.

this is all still in the thought process, it hasn't entered reality yet. I'm just considering a 3 in 1 becuase I have very limited money. It would take about 2 years to get $1000 at least at my current allowence. I have to discuss this with my Dad, he doesnt like anything that I do. I listen to his advice, but have my own ideas and then he says that we are arguing and I'm smarting off ??? ??? ???

I would Just like to be able to machine very simple things that I could use, nothing like an engine. Well then again.......

My very first home lathe cost me the trade of a $89 pump action 22 cal rifle.

Ranger you mentioned in another thread that you were born 100 years too late.
My Grandfather told me those same words when I was about your age.
He said I should have been a horse trader! ::)

You take your time and look around.
Check the classified ads on your local internet ISP sites.
I bought 2 lathes from the local ads here.
You might find one that needs a little work. Many things can be fixed easily
and doing that teaches you more about the workings of that machine.
Some things are very expensive to fix. All you need to do is ask here for
advice on which ones should be avoided.

Rule #1
Dad is the foreman!
You'll never see a pay raise or help setting up a machine by upsetting the foreman!
He wants to see your ambitions grow. Trust his judgment.
Yes it is OK to have him read this! ;)

Rick

Ranger
I haven't forgotten what it was like to deal with my father at your age. Maybe there is another solution to your problem. I've got a friend in NC who does some pretty nice hit and miss engine builds using only a drill press.

You might want to look at a milling table for your drill press. You can manage quite a bit of accuracy with a bit of ingenuity. I too managed to do some pretty intricate "milling" with mine before I made the jump to my current machines. I even managed to adapt it for some limited turning.

Have a look at http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2008&category= It just might solve the Dad thing and still get you doing some of the things you want to do. Compromise is the great lubricant in life.

As a side note... cut Dad some slack....he's only trying to get you raised before you manage to blow yourself up. If you scare some us on the board, then you are probably terrifying Dad to the max with his daily ring side seat...LOL. I just noticed Rick gave similar good advice...(grin)

Steve

A couple more rules here Ranger.

Rule #2

Take your time.

You will be clouding your judgement by getting too far ahead in the thinking stakes. Then you will make mistakes on the job you are involved in at the moment. If you need to do a lot of forwards planning, take time out, do the planning, write it down for future reference, then go back to the job in hand. ONE BIT AT A TIME.

Rule #3

Utilise what you already have.

You mentioned you need a lathe and miller to make an eccentric and bellcrank. Use your brain and think of a way to make it without resorting to expensive machinery. You were only saying the other day that this project has cost you nothing so far (how much has it cost your father for copper pipe etc), don't throw money at a project unless it is a very worthwhile investment.
You want to become an engineer, that doesn't come by spending money to buy unnecessary items, it comes thru learning and adapting. What would you do if you had no money at all?
A bit of round bar with the hole drilled off centre, a couple of larger washers - eccentric done. A bit of plate with three holes drilled in it - bellcrank done. No lathe, no miller. Brains and brawn came before machines.

John

Latest posts

Back