Hanging my head in shame.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

websterz

Reaction score
I have been fighting my mill for a long time now, trying to increase the torque. Drilling 1/4" holes in 6061 would stall it out. 3/8" carbide endmills would stall taking .030" cuts, it was driving me crazy. I replaced my drive belt, bought belt dressing for it, tweaked the torque pot on the controller...nothing worked!

So I am sitting out there today making a little home repair doodad, and I look up at my belt drive...bear in mind that I built this drive, this TWO-SPEED drive, and installed it over a year ago.

Get ready for it...
Here it comes...
You get a LOT more torque when the belt is in the LOW SPEED position. It cuts great now, and I have a beautiful hand print in the middle of my forehead to remind me of my big duh. ::)

Now don't you feel a little better about yourself? :bow:

be thankful you solved the problem and it works better NOW :big: :big:
Tin

You got lucky, there was no cost to your fix.

I burned up a controller using a 2 inch face mill on a mini mill.

I deserved that one.
it also cost me a good bit.
-B-

websterz said:
making a little home repair doodad,

Now don't you feel a little better about yourself?

I would if I knew what a 'doodad' was. Must be a 'watchamacallit' or 'thingamajig'...I know those.

Sometimes those moments feel kind of good though. Especially the slap. Like a good sneeze.

zeeprogrammer said:
I would if I knew what a 'doodad' was. Must be a 'watchamacallit' or 'thingamajig'...I know those.

Sometimes those moments feel kind of good though. Especially the slap. Like a good sneeze.

It's actually more like a doohickey or a thingamabob. To be honest it was a replacement hinge for a busted toilet seat. ::) The things I'll do to save a buck...

At least you didn't get to the point of advertising it "For Sale minimill; motor turns over, cuts small holes OK, $25 - pickup only" :big:. You solved a problem congratulations. Plus, I just went down to the shop to check where my mill was set (it WAS on the low speed) ;).

Cheers,
Phil

Thats not so bad and atleast you have fixed it now.
It could of been worse, you could have been running it backwards. :big:
I once found a chainsaw at the tip. I can only guess it was thrown out because it couldn't cut wet paper. But then not many chainsaws can cut when the chain has been put on backwards. :big:

websterz said:
It's actually more like a doohickey or a thingamabob. To be honest it was a replacement hinge for a busted toilet seat. ::) The things I'll do to save a buck...

Definitely a doohickey then! ;D

I have actually drilled a hole with a drill running backwards.

Thought I had the dullest cheapest bit every made. I actually threw that bit in the trash and put in another. I didn't discover my 'real' problem until I started using the second new bit. I actually used my eyes and looked at the tool in my hands ;)

Kermit

Way back when..... I was an apprentice at our local Ford dealer and another apprentice was having trouble installing mud flaps on a new vehicle..I wandered over as he was finshing up...yup installed 4 mudflaps with the drill in reverse.. now that I call talent! I still remind him of that occasionally...neither of us has picked up a spanner in anger for over 25 years.... BTW... he was the bosses son.... I guess he can choose to fit mudflaps just any way he pleases....

I made a tap one time- I think it was 1/4-28 for a spark plug in a model. I threaded it, cut flutes, heat treated it and polished it nicely.

When I tried to use it I could not get it to cut at all. After looking closer I had made a right hand thread, but left hand cutting flutes.

I keep it on my bench to remind me to think through jobs more fully

I have an experience similar to Ron's . . . I once needed a "hollow mill" . . a milling cutter with a hollow center, which I had to make from drill rod. I spent quite a bit of time getting the geometry of the six teeth just right, the hardening spot-on, and the final honing beautifully done . . . only to discover that the teeth pointed the wrong way. :eek:

Latest posts

Back