Hand Tapper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
For the team build I have 96, 4-40 holes to tap. I was going to buy a hand tapper, but they cost about 100 Bones. I think I'll just build one. Should be able to whip one out in a few days. I have it all planned out. So be ready for some pictures:eek:)

Wes

i need to build one as well so lots of pics would be best ;D :eek:

chuck

I want one too. I'll probably use it as an excuse to start a universal pillar tool as others hve shown.

BW

Mine will be similar to the one Mcgyver posted Here a while back.

Later, Wes

Very cool. Are you going to do your castings or make it straight from bar stock??

I expect a full build report. :big:

Eric

pg 133 in the kbc catalogue have afew simple hand tappers, pretty easy to build

I'll probably cast the arms and maybe the base? Might sell some later? We'll see. I ave school tomorrow night. I'll try and get the arms milled out this week. It's an easy casting job.

Later, Wes

39885.jpg

looks easy to make

TM,
The pic you have shown there does in fact show one of the main failings of the commercial products.

Where a hand tapper really scores over doing it by hand, is that very small taps very rarely break, if ever, because the side to side and tilt over isn't present.

To get back to the point, these commercial units are usually supplied with a large rotating handle, OK for 3/8" taps but easy to break a small one if it starts to bind in the hole. There is no 'feel' on them.

As you most probably know, I modified my small cast iron surface plate to have a swing over hand tapper, that allows me to position the tap almost anywhere on the tables surface, very handy when doing large jobs, you don't have to have the job precariously overhanging the table while you try and tap it.

I am not trying to get you to make them to this design, but show you how I overcome the 'feel' problem.

Under the main handle you will notice a knurled disk, this is turned with fingertips to allow you to feel if you are putting a bit too much pressure on the tap, and it really does work.

handtapper.jpg

The chuck I used was I think the smallest one that Jacobs make, 0 to 6mm. A bit limiting if you want to use a larger tap, but they can be done by other means, this one holds the smallest taps you will ever use.

John

Hi
I made mine some years back using a bench mount drilling machine bought at a sale for a couple of quid. The motor was buggered as was the switch gear so i removed that lot bushed the bore for the quill and made a silver steel spindle. Chuck wise I did the same and used a very small keyless chuck.
The advantage with a drill press is being able to rotate the table, dont half make life easy tapping odd angle holes.
Dont buy the comercial cheap units unless your happy to break taps.

Cheers kevin

I've been so sick and busy I haven't had time to get on here the last few days. I did get a good start on my hand tapper though. I have one of the patterns ready to paint. One ready for pins and most of the rest is drawn up. Here are some pictures.

Motor mount half being milled. You can see the difference between the finish and the roughing passes the CNC router made.
Tapper001.jpg

Here is the arm that will go between the two upright shafts. There will be two of these on each tapper.
Tapper002.jpg

Here you can see the wood pins that align up the two half's. I drilled these after I milled them, on my drill press.
Tapper003.jpg

Another picture:eek:)
Tapper004.jpg

Here is the bottom side of the table so far. I'll cut some slots in it later and also a clamp of some sort?
Tapper005.jpg

Here is another picture with all I have so far.
Tapper006.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input here:eek:)

More to come...

Wes

Thanks for that link John:eek:) I'll look it over. I have everything figured out accept how I'm going to attach the drill press handle? Hasn't come to me yet?

Wes

Not to slight anyone's work or any comercial product on the market, but I have seen a few hand tappers made using 2 old engine connecting rods fastened above one another for the reach arms. Some used connecting rods from large diesel engines and some used rods from Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engines. Both worked and looked very good.

Frank

Hey Frank, Mine will be made from pistons and beer cans:eek:)

I have a couple more patterns made. The one on the left will serve as a motor mount for the drill press option. and the one on the right will be a idler pulley mount.
CIMG0225.jpg

Later, Wes

Yes Bob! CNC is fun to learn! It has really opened up a lot of possibilities in what I can do.

I got some more sanding done tonight on my patterns. Should be able to start putting on some finish soon. I'll probably start on the clamps here soon also. I can build those without the casings.

I still haven't came up for an idea for the drill press handle? But I'll get something:eek:)

Wes

Back