Hall Effect ignition Question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chads

Reaction score
I am getting close to finishing my first IC hit and Miss.
Can someone explain to me how the hall effect setup works?

From what I see, a small magnet is installed on the cam gear and that triggers the engine to spark.
Does it spark everytime it passes the magnet - which would mean it fires even when the engine it in a coasting phase. I'm confused. :(

Thanks

Yes you are correct that it will spark everytime the magnet passes the sensor, in this case every other revolution, you say that your engine is a hit and miss, so it wont fire until it gets fuel even though there is a spark. All this is perfectly normal and the idol sparks wont harm anything.

Thankyou very much. Thats what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

Where is a good place to order a Hall effect circuit from?

Is it possible to use a micro switch and buzz coil? I already have a buzz coil.

you can also get them from allen howell. go to his dads site at jerry howell.com, jonesie

On Jerry Howells plans for his Farm Boy Hit and Miss he puts another magnet on the push rod for the valve and another hall effect pickup in the frame near it. After it's all wired, when the engine is in the coast mode the extra hall effect shuts down the power to the ignition for as long as the engine is coasting, (extending battery life 3 to 5 times). Then when the push rod returns to normal, ignition is reinstated. Works just fine. With this setup the engine engine only fires when it needs it to run. When it is coasting it draws nil power.

A set of points is the cheapest way to get it done. Put a disk with a flat spot on the crank shaft for a cam and get a small set of points, a resistor coil and a condenser from the autoparts store and get it running. It'll fire every time but who cares. You'll run it for an hour or so on a charge with a small emergency light gel cell. The hall effect ignition is a better solution but its troublesome too. On beginner engines I like the points idea.

I really like that idea. Simple and inexpensive.

Hall effect switches and me don`t seem to get on, I can blow them in a second. I have been using small auto points and a small cam behind the rear flywheel. Easier to set up aswell as you just rotate the cam to set the timing.
The ignition circuit I use, and have made quite a few for other people aswell, is the one from Elsmore`s site. Easy to build and can use either the hall or the points.
It is also a buzz coil as such as it gives a certain number of pulses each time it is made, giving you a good spark. I can easily run for a whole weekend from one battery(6v 4Ah)

Cheers,
MartinH

Latest posts

Back