RCEXL 2 ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerr46

Reaction score
I recently built a hoglet engine an installed a RCEXL 2 Hall effect ignition. The problem I have is that I can’t get the plugs to fire individually. I have tried every combination possible with the magnets and the sensor. The gap between the magnets and the sensor is .187” so I don’t think that is the problem. I have identified the south and north poles of each magnet and installed them one with the South Pole facing out and the North Pole facing in or the opposite. I can get the plugs to fire but they both fire at the same time, is that the way it should work? That doesn’t seem to be right. Does anyone else have the same issue with this unit or have any solutions. Thanks for any help.

Yes, they should both fire when the magnets go by. Both magnets should have the South pole facing out. Called a waste spark system. I think some prototype Harleys used this system? Look forward to other comments as I may have this wrong.

I have just started building a Hoglet. I wonder how you modified the RCEXL shielded plug leads so they don't look so bad?? I think the shields provide a ground, on another twin I tried to cut the shields off and used the shields as a ground but I think it killed the module!

hello
each magnet triggers a spark on the 2 candles at the same time, there is a lost spark

Get the magnet to sensor gap down to about .040. Thats the recommended gap when Roy used to sell them.

What system are you using? Maybe thats the way the system is supposed to fire. Do you have a model number?

Get the magnet to sensor gap down to about .040. Thats the recommended gap when Roy used to sell them.

What system are you using? Maybe thats the way the system is supposed to fire. Do you have a model number?
Thanks Steve it’s a RCEXL model 2 and I found out that’s the way it is supposed to work.

I recently built a hoglet engine an installed a RCEXL 2 Hall effect ignition. The problem I have is that I can’t get the plugs to fire individually. I have tried every combination possible with the magnets and the sensor. The gap between the magnets and the sensor is .187” so I don’t think that is the problem. I have identified the south and north poles of each magnet and installed them one with the South Pole facing out and the North Pole facing in or the opposite. I can get the plugs to fire but they both fire at the same time, is that the way it should work? That doesn’t seem to be right. Does anyone else have the same issue with this unit or have any solutions. Thanks for any help.
The new RCEXL is version 2 and there is also a #2 Hall-Effect mount. According to the instructions the RCEXL will only trigger off the south pole which, is normal. Firing both plugs at the same time is also normal since most R/C twin cylinder engines are opposed piston (boxer) design with both pistons going out and in at the same time.

Nils connected his Rcxel to towers inside a box and has small leads going to the engine, first separately,
and then in a 4 lead thru the distributer.

Attachments

• Nils running (2).jpg
    Nils running (2).jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ignition1_n.jpg
    ignition1_n.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ignition 1n.jpg
    ignition 1n.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 3
  • video-1652902303.mp4
    9.2 MB