Grizzly's new mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitandmissman

Reaction score
Could someone explain to this dummy why grizzly put a mt#4 tapper on the new mill? Why not r8 or 3, something everyone already has. I also couldn't find mt#4 tooling in grizzly's catalog. What's up?

hitandmissman said:
Could someone explain to this dummy why grizzly put a mt#4 tapper on the new mill? Why not r8 or 3, something everyone already has. I also couldn't find mt#4 tooling in grizzly's catalog. What's up?

If your interested in that machine, then I would contact Grizzly to see what they have to say. Could be that the listed MT-4 taper is an error. Thats more of a lathe spindel/tail stock taper. Only a dummy would order a mill for stock with that spindle taper from the factory. As far as I know there is no tooling to speak of. R-8 is a USA standard, and buying anything else may soon be regretted. Show me the tooling first Grizz.

Edit; I found the mill. It does say MT-4 spindle! Seems that all their other machines are R-8. For that kind of money, and with that spindle, I would keep looking. That's just my opinion.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2011/Main/547

-MB

MT tapers where common on Chinese mill/drills some years back, you migfht be able to get an adapter to convert it to R8 or something else.

This machine is very similar to the zay45 I have.
Mine also has the 4 morse taper,but a 4-3 mt adaptor lives permanently in the spindle.If you're in the US,I imagine you'd be better off with an R8 taper,as tooling for that seems to be more prevalent in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the replys. I have an x2 mill(micro-mark)right now and was looking for something a little bigger. But may just wait and go a little bigger yet. Thanks again.

Look at the spec sheet. There it says the spindle is R8

You must be looking at a different spec sheet .I clearly see "spindle taper-MT4"!

It says MT4 on the Sieg site but clearly that would have been short sighted of them. The spec on the Sieg site looks like prelim info as there are a number of differences on the Grizzly spec sheet which one would assume would represent the product they are selling.

(why do we now have 2 threads on the same subject?)

Pete

Latest posts

Back