Grinding on the Side of the Wheel?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
??? Themit / Thermite use's iron (III) oxide,,,,,,,, ( Fe2O3 + 2Al → 2Fe + Al2O3 + heat) So it should use the suffix ate for more/lots of oxygen ,,,,,,,,, Thermate ;D

Rob

;D Yeah, that makes sense. After all, we use ammonium nitrate to provide oxygen for a certain (ahem) 'procedure'. And potassium nitrate for another. Some'ow 'dynamate' doesn't sound quite right tho'.

tel said:
;D Yeah, that makes sense. After all, we use ammonium nitrate to provide oxygen for a certain (ahem) 'procedure'. And potassium nitrate for another. Some'ow 'dynamate' doesn't sound quite right tho'.
Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof} 'dynamate' I think they sell that on QVC :big: :big: :big: :big:

Better get let this thread back on topic :hDe:

Rob ;D

AHhh Lew beat me to it....ringing a wheel and standing to the side during the first minute is standard practice in the machine tool business...

With a 5 pound wheel, 8 inches in diameter, going at 3600 rpm, you have about 700 joules of kinetic energy. Converting that to linear kinetic energy....as it's easier to "relate" to..

That's 5 pounds of razor sharp rocks flying at you at about 60 miles/hour

Now there's an image to think about.....

Dave

I've been reading this thread with interest. Do the warnings about grinding on the side also apply to those drill sharpening jigs that work that way?

Woz (in Oz)

That's an interesting point....and I have not used one of those grinders....but if it's a "Standard" bench wheel...then I would have to say yes!....regardless of the fixture.

Lets face it....I know I have done it so I'll throw no stones most here have.....but in general you shouldn't for reasons already stated....

And for god's sake as well as your own..wear Glasses! 8)

Dave

This might help...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pDL0ZQ-2Pk&NR=1[/ame]

Dave

Dave,
I had to play the video because I have never heard a bad wheel. I think the videos are a bit of a ringer because he holds the wheel properly by the center hole in the first good test and for the second bad test he has what looks like the same wheel sitting on the bench which is not how to conduct the ringing test.

Dan

Woz said:
I've been reading this thread with interest. Do the warnings about grinding on the side also apply to those drill sharpening jigs that work that way?

Woz,

The old General brand drill sharpening jig came with a warning to purchase a side-load grinding wheel for use with it. My own General drill grinding attachment was purchased in 1968, so I am bit out of date as to what warnings come with them today. When Pacific Grinding Wheel went out of business, I purchased a box of 72 side-load wheels from them. I assume, but do not know, that such wheels are still sold.

Thanks for that info Lew. :)

Dan, I'll take the second one down, as I don't want a staged one

Suffice it to say that if you don't get a distinct ring, you don't have a wheel

Dave

Yeah lots of good info here.

On that note I'm gonna scurry off and clean up all the dust around my grinder..... Thm:

Latest posts

Back