Grinding lathe jaws

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hello Ned

Thank You for the advices.
I will order some CCMTs and make the beautifully tool shown in first picture,turn the inside as pic 2 and do the lower outside steps in more or less one operation.

chuck.jpg

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

Hi Niels,
The CCMT are not as "sharp" as the CCGT ones, the G stands for ground finish.
I have not yet tested the tips, as I was waiting for more things to make an order worth the postage.
Ned

Ned Ludd said:
Hi Niels,
The CCMT are not as "sharp" as the CCGT ones, the G stands for ground finish.
I have not yet tested the tips, as I was waiting for more things to make an order worth the postage.
Ned

Hi Ned,
I maybe sounding naive here but I have only used the CCGT inserts for machining Aluminum or very light finishing cuts on steel as it leaves very good finish, I thought that for heavy interupted cuts on hard jaws one needs a much harder grade of carbide.

Regards,

A.G

G is not for "ground". In fact none of the characters actually define the shape of the cutting edge, but many of the high rake inserts commonly have G in the third space in the designation. The designations vary slightly by manufacturer as to intended application. High rake aluminum cutting inserts are xxGX in Sandvik, but often xxGT in other brands. Sandvik makes a standard uncoated CCMT in H13A grade that is good for hard steel at low surface speeds. I've used some just recently. I'll try them on the jaws when I have a need again.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm

I have used Sandvik CCGX on steel, but not hard steel. I doubt they would hold up to truing jaws. Sandvik CCGT are a positive rake insert for steels and should do the job in the right grade.

Greg

Hello all

I will beg some different grades and try.
I have no milling machine but like to part of so I will make another tool for keeping jaws during truing.
Please comment.I am grey with fear when boring blindholes like Ned Ludd does.

chuck.jpg

Latest posts

Back