Good model for first time

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deck Dog

Reaction score
Hi
I have never built a steam engine before but they have facinated me for years. I have a 1/24 scal model tugboat hull and I was thinking of powering it by steam. A pre built engine and boiler seems to be out of my budget at this time so I figured I would try building one. I own a Unimat 3 lathe with the milling attachment and a few other accessories (only missing the jigsaw) which I have use for making model boat fittings. Mainly from brass and aluminum. I also recently aquired a 7" x 14" metal lathe because it was a good price and I thought it looked good (yes I know that is a daft reason to buy a lathe but I never claimed to be totally sane and this is probably why a pre built steam plant is out of my budget ) What would be a good simple marine engine and boiler for somebody of my limited ability? Also could anyone suggest some simple projects that I could try to learn how to use my equipment properly.

Cheers

Deck Dog:
first off welcome to the board.
I would not question your sanity for buying a 7x14 you like the lathe and the price what more reason does one need as long as you use it. I would probably have a collection twice the size I do if I bought engines rather than building but that is not what it is about.

Here are a couple of engine plans the second one is designed for the unimat.
http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans3/HobbitEngineringDavid/DavidHobbitEngWobbler.PDF

http://www.john-tom.com/MyPlans/SteamPlans3/RiverQueenEngine/RiverQueenPlansInstruction.pdf
there are a couple of boiler plans in the download section.
the book Making Simple Model Steam Engines by Stan Bray is a good starter book. For about $30 US the down side is it assumes the ability to silver solder. but if you want to build a boiler that is a required skill so I guess not really a down side in the log run.
As far as learning I can think of no better project than building a simple engine.
Tin

Welcome to the forum DeckDog.
You'll get lots of help here...although not much from me...I have a lot to learn myself ;D
Sounds like you have all the things you need, including desire.
Looking forward to seeing your engine, boiler, and tugboat.

Thanks for the info. I have down loaded the plans and will check them out.

Latest posts

Back