Gloves Again

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
We all know that wearing gloves while operating a machine is a No Go!

But, when you are setting up a machine, installing a new blade on the bandsaw,
changing the threading gears in the lathe... etc, good gloves can be a great thing.

A place I had previously worked supplied the employees with a perfect glove for
handling glass, the Magid Glove GP150.
Those gloves are also perfect for machine set up.
They are non-slip and somewhat cut resistant, but not exactly cheap.

I ordered 2 dozen of them today for work and home use.
Here's a link to the manufacturers site. LINK

I bought 2 dozen because of the free shipping on orders over $75.
Buying 1 dozen they charge $17 shipping. That's almost half the cost of a second dozen.

If you buy the right size for your hands, you can pick up a dime from a piece of glass with them.

I have no affiliation with this company. I'm just a very pleased user of their product.

Now a confession...
When I am actually running one of the production machines at work, I'm wearing these gloves.
In production, running the machine involves constantly placing sharp edged parts onto loader
mandrels on the turret of the machine. You are not anywhere near the spindle of the machine.

Rick

Thanks for sharing Rick...

However I have a tale to tell... about wearing gloves that made no difference... but for another time maybe?

Goes to show there's a right place and a wrong place for wearing gloves..

I have seen horrific results of wearing gloves around live tools!

A man running a horizontal boring mill next to the machine I was running was wearing
heavy gloves. A 6" cutter got a hold of his glove and pulled his hand into the cutter.

During the clean up a man picked up that glove and a chunk of the operators hand fell out
of it. Two men out for the day. One mangled, one too sick to work.

NEVER wear gloves around live tools, chucks or spindles!

Rick

How about rubber (medical) gloves?
the machinists in my area have been wearing them. They rip off quite easily if caught , but protect your hands from "machinist's grunge".

That's a good question Mosey. I always wear nitrile glove while working on machinery or operating my mill and lathe. Keep in mind that these gloves are very thin (4 Mil or 0.004"), in fact it took me a while to learn to wear them without ripping them in the first five minutes of use. I've had the gloves get caught on machinery, but it has alway simply torn a piece of the glove off, never pulling my hand into anything.

Do these thin glove pose a risk?

I wore them for years as an aircraft mechanic (and working on cars etc.) but there's much less of a "rotating" hazard there, of course. I might also mention that I prefer the nitrile ones. Supposedly, there's a possibility of the latex ones causing an allergic reaction wearing them, but I found the nitrile ones to be more tear/wear resistant. Also, non-powdered is better, if you can get them. The powder gets everywhere!

I'll sometimes wear nitrile gloves when using the lathe, in operations where hot little bits of swarf rain down on my hands. Wouldn't wear any cloth or leather ones though...

I also go antique small engine restorations.
Those blue nitrile gloves are great when working in the parts cleaner tank.
They do protect your skin against the solvents for a limited amount of time.

Rick

I always wear nitrile gloves in the workshop. that way when i have to go indoors quickly - phone , post etc - I'm not given the third degree about oily fingerprints everywhere.
they're thin enough for sensitivity - only with the smallest parts do I have to remove them - resist oil etc and wont drag your hand into anything when you do something stupid.
i keep a can of talc in the workshop to make putting them back on again easy.

I did try the latex type but found that they broke down quite easily (I think the cutting oil I use effected them) and when i turned the cross slide handle they had a tendency try and wrap themselves around it.

The Nitrile gloves work pretty well when it is not too hot. They can be too much on a hot day.

These gloves make it easy to peel off and pick up the camera or phone with clean hands. Saves a lot of cleanup time also.

Another advantage of wearing them is that they act as sort of an early warning system, when I get my hand too close to a bit or the grinding wheel, I have a fraction of a second as the glove is being abraded to withdraw my hand to a safer place. They save any number of cuts and scratches also, and you don't have to have the leather hands like I see on so many guys who do shop work.

I tried vinyl gloves, but they don't have the tactile feel that the nitrile gloves have.
The nitrile gloves really act light a thin outer skin, and they tear off easily if caught in something.

I have also started to wear disposable Tyvek painter suits in the shop, so I can duck in and out of the shop and also work at other tasks without constantly changing clothes. The painter suits will melt, but they don't seem to support flame, which is good when you accidentally get too close to something hot.

The wife likes the suits because she does not have to mix my dirty oily clothes in the same washing machine as her clothes.

I've been using nitrile gloves lately too if I'm doing a lot of machining. I found them necessary while trying to clean up the lathe I bought. The first time I messed with it, I couldn't get the muck off my hands with the soaps I had didn't work well. I had an awful time washing the slime off parts as well. I finally found that citrus cleaner works wonders.

Latest posts

Back