George Thomas book, The Model Engineer's Workshop Manual

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WisJim

Reaction score
I just got a copy of this book on Amazon (USA) after looking for a reasonably priced copy for a year or so, and missing one on eBay. I ordered a new copy of the 2021 reprint from a seller in England and got it in less than 2 weeks, using the cheapest basic shipping, in great condition, new with no shipping damage. I was impressed with the service, quicker delivery than some books that I have gotten in the US.
So if you are in the US, and are considering getting this book, check out the seller "ship_option_#1"

Jim, in Menomonie, WI

One of the best books I've ever bought Jim.

There's a lot of online book "resellers" asking imo astronomical prices for what there selling. For any in North America who don't yet know of them, Tee Publishing in the UK would be one I'd highly recommend. Modelling Books, Engineering Books, Model Making Books, Workshop Books, Engineering in Miniature, UK There's also others in the UK that specialize in offering Model Engineering related books. But I know Tee can easily do international orders and shipping and have always been good to deal with. As another example, I've also seen online prices for my Moore Tools book Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy in the $300-$500 range, the exact same book is available directly from Moore for around $100. I've always found if the book is still being published, you can find them priced a whole lot better from a few different places and publishers. Another option us in North America and for books still being published, would be places like Coles, Chapters etc if you have the title, publisher or even better the ISBN number. They can directly order and get about anything you want world wide with just that information. I've done that in the past and had no extra shipping costs.

My total cost for the book including shipping and sales tax was just under $55. I didn't find it listed at TEE publishing so I got it through Amazon. The times I have checked TEE, their shipping charges discouraged me.

Last edited:
Modelling Books, Engineering Books, Model Making Books, Workshop Books, Engineering in Miniature, UK for the Thomas book. Hmm for some reason that direct link doesn't work, but you can easily find his book just by using the title or authors name. Yes I'd agree, shipping anything from the UK can be expensive. Almost always when I order from Tee I'll order more than one book, sometimes quite a few. That greatly spreads out the shipping charges. I also phone my order in and that shipping is always a lot less than the online estimated amount will show. What I don't know is if those online shipping charges are corrected at the time of shipment to what the actual charges are or not.

Modelling Books, Engineering Books, Model Making Books, Workshop Books, Engineering in Miniature, UK for the Thomas book. Hmm for some reason that direct link doesn't work, but you can easily find his book just by using the title or authors name. Yes I'd agree, shipping anything from the UK can be expensive. Almost always when I order from Tee I'll order more than one book, sometimes quite a few. That greatly spreads out the shipping charges. I also phone my order in and that shipping is always a lot less than the online estimated amount will show. What I don't know is if those online shipping charges are corrected at the time of shipment to what the actual charges are or not.
Got my copy from TEE last October; same price, but the postage was a little lower than now. Excellent experience (and a great book!).

Yep it is. While its about building your own accessories for the ML 7 and Super 7, most of it could be redesigned and used on similar sized or larger lathes. GHT's observations about how poor pointed gib screws are and why they can't work as they should were also something I hadn't considered before. I've had my copy for at least 20 years and I still go through it once in awhile. It's the one book I've bought that I think everyone should have a copy of.

I carry both George Thomas Green Book "Workshop Techniques" and Red Book "Model Engineers Workshop Manual" for $50 each plus shipping. USPS Media Mail runs around $5-7. www.martinmodel.com

Latest posts

Back