Gears

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmac

Reaction score
I'm about to order some gears for the Upshur and Hoglet from Stock Drive Products. In searching online I notice they sell what they refer to as "Pinion Wire" - an extruded gear stock sold by the foot in brass or steel. Can anyone comment on the suitability of this product compared to buying individual machined gears. I suspect that being extruded the tooth profiles may not be as precise, not real important on a hit and miss or something like the Hoglet (I assume?), but what about applications where RPM and loads are higher? The pinion wire gives me a considerable cost reduction where gears are concerned.

Thanks and cheers
Garry

The gears for PM research lathe uses the pinion rod . I have never used it or made gears . Pinion rod should be fine for a model engine. They are I believe made originally for clock pinions /gears.
Tin

I ordered gears from SDPI and www.smallparts.com, 2 from each.

The brokerage fee from small parts was $2.40.

The fee from sdpi was $20.04, more than the cost of the gears.

Their parent company is called designatronics, it may be possible that customs saw that name and assumed they had electronic applications which carry a higher duty.

-Kevin

Latest posts

Back