GEARS Show Next Weekend

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoan

Reaction score
Is any one planning in attending the GEARS model engine show in Portland Oregon next weekend?

I will be there with my hot air fans and the work in progress Pacific Vapor Engine; stop by and say hi.

If you have never been to this show it is worth a visit.

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho

I'll be there on Sat. My milling machine sub table will be at Gary Martins booth.

Dave

Is any one planning in attending the GEARS model engine show in Portland Oregon next weekend?

I will be there with my hot air fans and the work in progress Pacific Vapor Engine; stop by and say hi.

If you have never been to this show it is worth a visit.

Dave

Dave Otto
Boise, Idaho

I'll be there. Flew up from Austin last Friday and have spent the week sightseeing. Will be at the show bright and early Saturday morning. I'll be looking for Gary Martin's booth to see what neat stuff he has.

Chuck

I have to machine several engine bases and the bearing caps are at a 45 degree angle. My mill is the PITA when it comes to laying it over to 45 and then back to vert. Takes couple of hours to tram back in. So I figured a sub table that I can clamp to the main table that will set my work at a 45 would make things better. Here is a photo of it.
I will have mine at GEARS and I think Gary will have castings there.

Dave

000_0474.jpg

000_0476.jpg

The GEARS show was great as always; many thanks go out to the wonderful folks that have worked so hard each year to put this show together; unfortunately we all found out that this will be the last GEARS show.

From the president;
Sadly after 9 successful shows it is time to close our doors; while the response to GEARS has been overwhelming. For 9 years the show has been conducted by the same small group of people. With the loss of some key people due to age and illness; we have gotten to the point where we can no longer be sure we have enough people to organize a show for another year.

There is more but the above paragraph pretty much spells it out.

It is sad for me because this is the only time I get to see my model engine building friends from other states. As I left the show on Sunday afternoon with an empty spot in my heart knowing that some of these great people I may never see again.

On a more positive note I did get to meet and chat with fellow members Chuck Fellows and Dave Sohlstorm

Dave

Dave, thanks for posting the photo of your sub table. It looks nice. Do your feel any need to brace the free end to the mill table to help stabilize the sub table?

I'm sorry to hear GEARS is ending. I did get to the Eugene show a couple times. There are a lot of very nice models in the Pacific Northwest and down the coast.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Chuck

At 38 pounds and 4" thick I hope that I will not need to worry about the high end.
I may in the future set up a set of pivot feet at the bottom and a set of bars so you can set the table at between 0 and 44 degrees.

I talked to several folks at the show and I think there are some that are thinking of seeing that the show goes on.

Dave

Just got back to Austin from the Gears show after a week long vacation seeing Portland and area sights. Sure would be a nice place to live, lovely weather, lots of beautiful natural wonders, and a pretty decent light rail system.

Anyway, took a ton of pictures and videos which I'll be posting as soon as I get them transferred off my iPad and sorted. Talked to lots of interesting folks and got some good ideas for the shop. I don't get to the Portland show very often, but do hope they find a way to keep it going.

Good to meet you, Dave, some very impressive stuff you've built!

Chuck

Back