Gear reduction??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Was watching a couple videos on a converted X2 to CNC. In one of the videos, the guy had direct drive on all 3 axes and stated he was going to "upgrade to gear reduction". Slightly confused, why is going to gear reduction an upgrade? Resolution?

Eric

A gear reduction would give more torque as well as better resolution for the same size motor.

although top speed would be cut but less chance of loosing steps on a open loop system

Yabbut wouldn't one have to deal with backlash using gears? Yuck, I think the more practical method is timing belts & pulleys.

I was assuming the reduction was by timing belt .
you are right a meshed gear wouldn't be any good in a cnc system. And you should avoid oldham couplings with rubber inserts as that can leave some play in the system alltho a lot of people get away with them on light loaded drives

Steve

FIXIT said:
I was assuming the reduction was by timing belt .
you are right a meshed gear wouldn't be any good in a cnc system. And you should avoid oldham couplings with rubber inserts as that can leave some play in the system alltho a lot of people get away with them on light loaded drives

Steve

Agreed - I had Oldham couplers with acetal inserts, and even with those, I wasn't too happy. They ARE handy so you can quickly detach motors, but in the end, I picked up some surplus spiral aluminum couplers off eBay. These work great, and they can be easily bored out from smaller to larger.

Timing belts/pulleys do have another advantage in that they flex a tiny bit and help with shock loads, accel/decel, that sort of thing. But if possible, I prefer direct if you have the torque to do so.

Latest posts

Back