G'day from the frozen north

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-One

Reaction score
Hello

I'm just getting my feet wet in machining with a Unimat DB200. A friend referred me here, so I thought I'd have a look in and post a few of those annoying noob questions that I am certain most of you are secretly sick of ;)

Anyway, I'm a toy steam enthusiast and some time collector from Canada. I'm an IT worker / network admin in my Real Life(tm).

At this point I just kitbash the odd toy engine (Jensen, because they are tough enough to take it) and up until now a drill press, belt sander, and torch have pretty much been my staple, as far as tools go.

I'm ready to go to the next step, though, and wish to be able to make small parts up, and improve on my current skills.

I know some of you here already: those who know me from the Unofficial Mamod and Other Toy Steam Forum as "Mr O", or just Mark.

That's about it.

Welcome Mark-one. You'll get many saying this is a friendly site with lots of varied experience......for a change its true! The secret is just ask, even if you think its daft, beacuse there will be someone out there who also wants to know the answer!

Look forward to seeing your first steps if you know what I mean......

MM

Yup you've come to the right place. There is a lot of experienced guy's here. Your right it's frozen in the north...snowing outside my window at this moment. I'm just waiting for it to warm a little so I can do something.

Welcome aboard from another Canuck

Philly

Mark-One,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome from Vancouver Eh!

-Kevin.

G'day Mark and welcome!!!

its a great place with good like minded folks eh!

enjoy!!!

cheers

jack

and welcome from Penticton, BC - from another noob. I could have had a Unimat when I started but I ran into a deal on a Taig lathe first... Great people here.

Regards
Garry

welcome mark :)

lets see some of your collection engines (we like pictures)

chuck
(another frozen canuck)

Hi Mark,

From another steamtoy collector in the western hemishere (and of course a member of the UOMamod)

Thanks all. Feels like a friendly sort of place already :)

I don't have a web site, other than a photobucket account and a youtube.

The youtube is full of all sorts of stuff, since I've never deleted anything. Mainly just showing off the toy engines, some mods, and some experiments in power generation as I fumble my way in the general direction of knowledge

http://youtube.com/user/MisterOcclusion

My current little project can be seen here:
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z150/MisterOcclusion/Jensen 70D/

It's not too far from being finished. Just needs some tweaking and the plumbing to be completed.

1DSCF1451.jpg

That's an earlier photo of how it will look assembled

phase2-1.jpg

And a current photo of it half taken down so I could set up the support struts that will keep the gear spacing proper and also install the exhaust headers.

A normal Jensen 70 can be seen here (I won't link to their pictures out of courtesy)
http://jensensteamengines.com/hobby/h70.htm

Yeah, it looks crude, but I'm a computer geek at the hammer'n'chisel stage of mechanics. ;)

The plan is to use the new little lathe to turn a nice tapered tip on the blocked off ends of what will become the two horizontal exhaust manifolds (or else ask in here how one goes about turning nice radius ends on brass rod)

howdy & Welcome i like pics as everyone else too thats a perdy engine

Yes welcome. Neat little interesting engine.
Regard.
Ernie J

I can't link it from here, since we block youtube at work, but my 2 most recent uploads show it running from a small test boiler if anyone wants to follow the link a few posts above to my youtube.

Turns out that it works as well as I dreamed it would, and much better than I expected it to. :big:

Latest posts

Back