Gasket material help needed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshire

Reaction score
I'm working on Elmer's #13 and he specified a gasket for the cylinder top end. He suggested a thickness of about .008.
Although I'm running on air now (at least the engines are), there is always the possibility of steam down the road.
Suggestions for gasket material?
Thanks

Best
Stan

Brown wrapping paper works OK, once its cut out apply some oil and it will make a good thin gasget. You can also use the liquid gasket sold in car shops, its a bit like silicin sealant.

J

You can also use Teflon sheet. It comes in different thicknesses and will stand up to the oil and heat should you ever run it on steam. Another plus is it doesn't stick to the surfaces so upon disassembly there is no scraping.
gbritnell

Might look into Gore-tex & GR sheet gasketing. Very fancy, top of the line stuff by W. L. Gore & Assoc. Comes in sheets, tape, etc. Expensive I think. Same guys who make ski parka water proof breathable linings. It is PTFE, and doesn't creep, holds pressure with light clamping. I have only tried samples, not in engines yet.

Teflon BBQ liners can be used for gasket material and comes in two thicknesses that I'm aware of: 0.005" = 0.13mm and 0.010" = 0.25mm. They are sold on eBay and elsewhere (search for "teflon bbq sheet").

Thanks guys
After reading your posts, I added Teflon sheet to my latest Enco order.
Looks like the perfect material. Removable!
I'm nearing the end of the build ("work in progress" is in progress) so you'll see how the gasket worked.
Best
Stan

I can get all kinds of bulk gasket material from local auto-parts dealers. It's just not a common item any more. I just go in at a time when they're not busy and they look it up for me and order it. Like all local businesses, sometimes it's worth it to spend a little extra money with them in order to have the knowledgeable counter people as a resource. Contrary to popular opinion, Everything is not always searchable online.

Just my two cents worth.

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back