from down under

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Guy

Reaction score
hi my name is Patrick and i live in Brisbane Australia. i have had an interest im making things well all my life and started learning about machines and machine tools a year ago incidentally while trying to find as much information on what being an "engineer" would be life as a profession. i did work experience through school with our railway but instead of going to the office learning how things work i was put in the shop making things it was great and after that i got on the net read up about lathes such as Southbend, Myford and Colchester and then about the Hercus lathes we had a school then the miller and finding the shapper the more i looked the more i knew this is what i wanted to do with my life not JUST a career but a hobby also. well when i finished with school i knew i didnt want to go to UNI and become an "engineer" so i looked for a job as a fitter and turner it wasnt easy with the recession but i found people wanting staff and have been working in a CNC work shop learning all i can till now and hopefully i will switch jobs to go back to the railway (its closer to where i live). i have been watching this forum fr some time and joined some time back but havent posted till now because up to now i havent been able to give any of this stuff a try .........till now ;D a few days ago i went out intending to get a small bench lathe like the 9x22" or the bigger 10x22" ......long story short i spent way over what i was intending to spend for a way better lathe at a great price :) so now that i have nearly got the lathe i thought it time to introduce my self to this great community of skilled people and say hello

thank you for listening to my rant :p

Welcome Patrick - long may you prosper with us.

Patrick,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

New_Guy said:
......long story short i spent way over what i was intending to spend for a way better lathe at a great price :)

by the way ............ Pictures are mandatory ........... :big: ;D :big:

Welcome to the board Patrick, enjoy Thm:

CC

Welcome Patrick,
And what CC said

CrewCab said:
by the way ............ Pictures are mandatory ........... :big: ;D :big:

Tony

Patrick,

Welcome to the group.

Bob

welcome to the board
A 12x 36 is some starter lathe enjoy.
Tin

very similar story to mine mate, right down to the name haha. but as of yet, i dont have my own lathe. i started out doing research like you did and did work experience too haha. definately a good trade to be in mate i love it

Gday Pat.Welcome to the hmem.Nice lathe.
Is the couch for sleeping on when you're in the dogbox? Rof}

Latest posts

Back