Four Jaw Chucks - speedier adjusting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I sort of enjoy dialing in a four jaw chuck but it drives me crazy pulling out the key, spinning the chuck ( if necessary ), reinserting the key, and adjust some more, repeat, etc...

I had an idea and did a bit of Googling but did not find anyone else who had the same thoughts on the matter so...

I just purchased a new four jaw chuck from Sherline and it uses a hex key to adjust but it has all of the same issues as a normally keyed chuck. I thought that it would be much easier to have four keys inserted during the initial adjustment phase when you didn't need to exert a lot of pressure to really secure the material. So, I came up with four small keys - a very simple project that takes about an hour or so to make all four. I like them so much that I'm going to make a set for my Myford S7 although it uses a conventional key.

chuck-speed-key-04.JPG

chuck-speed-key-05.JPG

A few more photo's and description here :
http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/chuck-speed-key/chuck-speed-key.htm

Nice idea and I can see the benefit, but I make it a point not to remove my hand from the chuck key ever, while it's inserted, just so I know I'll never hit the start button and have one thrown at me.

having two keys is another option and you get better grip. it does not take a lot to move a part a thou.
Tin

I use two keys and, like Cogsy, keep them in my hands at all times. It is just one of my fetishes (we all need at least one)

Jim

After having one chuck key flung and missed me. I make it a point to have no chuck key in the chuck.

As for centering,it is practice make perfection. My 1940s----1960s maestros standardised on four jaws and they could chuck and centre a job in no time using scribing blocks. Used to watch them doing centering. I have seen some old hands do it by finger touching the scribing needle. The truth is these have poor eyesights. Hence by touch.

I use two keys too, the oposite movement of both hands together is very natural in fact, certainly more than a single key, and after, removing the two keys also seems more obvious.

I had the same notion as you did, only my execution was a little more pedestrian than your nicely done set:

4JawKey.jpg

A brass square filed down to fit and a valve handle. It works, but the shaft is too long, rubbing against the rear splash shield so I gotta get back to it.

Latest posts

Back