Following in Dennis Footprints.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimN

Reaction score
If you have not checked out Dennis thread on building the tractor, you should, he does amazing work. Its located at http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4335.0.
I had looked at the plans many times, but until Dennis started the thread I kept telling my self to many other projects going on.

Well after looking at what Dennis was doing, I started it. I acquired some material for the rear rims, but not going to be able to turn them to size on my sherline lathe, so for now working on other parts as I ponder that problem.

As I started to make sheet metal parts, my first problem was in bending the platform sides. They have a top pieace that is bent down. After two tries of doing that and not being happy with either one, I gave up and did an FM. I made the top pieace separate, that will be riveted to the platform sides in time as shown below. (my hat is off to you Dennis, how you bent that second bend I will never know)
platformsides.jpg

The next modification I made was in the bearings. They are shown as 5/8 blocks, I decided to install bearings so machined up 5/8 Square that is 1/8 thick, and covers that are 1/16 thick, still holding the 5/8 square. The bearings are 3/8 OD 1/4 ID by 1/8 thick and Boca Bearings has them for 99 cents, can't beat the price.
bearings.jpg

Now I have not done much riveting as I like to trail fit as I go, when I started to bolt the Horn plates on, the bearing blocks hit the Platform sides. I know Dennis made comment about the same problem. I solve the problem by cutting .100 off the leading edge. That leading edge is covered by the horn plates so it really is not much of a problem.
platformsidetrim1.jpg

The last picture is of one rear hub with the bull gear mounted to it and mounted on the tractor to check the line up on the 16 tooth gear, which fits in perfectly. I am not sure how Dennis mounted the Bull gear, when I made up the hub I left a shoulder sticking out that was the same dia as the hole in the gear. Then drilled and taped 4 2-56 to bolt it on with. The other Bull gear is waiting for me to turn up the other side hub.
Bullgear.jpg

I think from here I will keep working on the horn plates to get all the gears in place. One other FM I am thinking on is to bolt the motion plate on rather than rivet it. That way I can make everything up and still have no problem taking it apart when its time to but the Fire Box cover in.

Looks like a great start down a long road Jim, those bearing blocks are "outta sight".

BC1
Jim

Jim,

Great looking parts...your FM's (Field Mods??) all look like good ideas. Particularly like the addition of the bearings. Also, that row of rivets where the fender joins will really look neat.

Regards,
Dennis

I just ordered this book 10 minutes ago from Village Press, along with Rudy's shop wisdom #4 book,
So I will definitely be watching.

Here, just for fun, is a picture I took at NAME's in 2002. I have this framed and hanging over my Lathe, because he was a big reason I got into this hobby.

Rudy.jpg

Rudy K.
God of Metalworking

4156df said:
your FM's (Field Mods??) all look like good ideas. Regards,
Dennis

Thanks Dennis and yes FM = Field Mod. Used that alot over the years.
Yes Quickj, Rudy was a master of the trade. I have couple of his books and just amazed at the things he did.

QJ:
I probably should that picked that book up at Cabin Fever but spent my allowance on other things like metal and a PMR Genny Kit. Rudy was a great guy but certainly not a God . I do believe Rudy knew God well and God smiled down upon him and his work. rudy was a great guy and alway treated me as a friend.
Tin

That's a fine picture of Rudy. I wish that I had the pleasure of meeting him. - billmc

Well some work has been done on my tractor, seems to many other projects keep getting in the way of it.

tractor13.jpg

I have gotten all the gears mounted, I was really happy that they mesh perfectly and turn very well. While thinking of what to use for the Flywheel, I found that the outer boiler casing was very close to the right size. So since it had to be cut down anyway, used that for the flywheel.

tractor12.jpg

I turned up the crank pulley out of one pieace, it still needs to be cleaned up some but for now just fitting things.

Guess the next major thing I need to do is finish up the rear wheels, I have yet to drill all the holes for spokes in the hubs and the rims. Due to my sherline lathe not being quite large enough for turning the rear rims, had those trimmed up by a machine shop here in Abbotsford.

Finially got the rear wheels all done, keep getting sidetrack on other things.

I tapped and threaded the spokes before starting to put them together.
wheelstart.jpg

Once that was done, I put them on a balance plate to make sure the alignment was ok.
T_WheelBalance.jpg

After that, put the grouters on, and painted them. I taped off the grouters rather than paint them.
T_wheelpainted.jpg

Jim,
This is looking great!
Where did you get the Gears?
Also, what did you use for the Wheels? They look much thicker then what is called out in the plan, and appear to be brass? If I had to guess, I'd think you used Brass pipe.
Once again, Thanks for sharing your build.

Jim

That's looking really good there, Jim. Between you and Dennis, I'm getting a really bad case of Wannabuildatractor.

Cheers, Joe

Quickj said:
Jim,
This is looking great!
Where did you get the Gears?
Also, what did you use for the Wheels? They look much thicker then what is called out in the plan, and appear to be brass? If I had to guess, I'd think you used Brass pipe.
Once again, Thanks for sharing your build.

Jim

You are right, they are from a brass pipe and the gears are exactly what Dennis used in his build. All from same place as he listed, www.sdp-si.com.

I had to have the rear rims trimmed for me, since there are to big to do on my sherline lathe. I bought the pipe from Online Metals.

Thanks for the comments.
JimN

Jim,
It's really looking good. I particularly like the tapped and threaded spokes. Very much like the real tractor. I'm close to the painting stage now and am wishing I'd taken your approach of painting as I go. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Dennis

Hi Jim, excellent start on your tractor. You've got some big shoes to fill following Dennis's build but it looks like you're well on your way. Who's the damsel overseeing the build, she doesn't look much like a farmer?
gbritnell

Looks like Star Trek next generation....Dianna Troi....I think.....

Now itsn't that Ironic......someone from what I think was the 38th century AD or so sitting behind a steam tractor.....must be on the holideck.... :big:

Nice looking build! A karma from me...

Dave

steamer said:
Looks like Star Trek next generation....Dianna Troi....I think.....

Now itsn't that Ironic......someone from what I think was the 38th century AD or so sitting behind a steam tractor.....must be on the holideck.... :big:

Nice looking build! A karma from me...

Dave
LOL, you are right on, I never missed the show. My wife bought me that as a joke and its still around.

Jim, I am fascinated with your wheels, as well as the rest of the project. They look great.
I remember working on bicycle wheels and tightening spokes to get the wheel to run true. The bicycle spokes had a head on them to tighten against. When I look at your spokes I didn't see a head on the spokes. On the other hand you have set the wheels up with an indicator to run true.
I haven't read all of Dennis's project, so maybe I missed this part. Would your process work on flywheels?

You are right on the wheels, there is no head on the spokes. What I found was by the time I got all 24 spokes through the rim and threaded into the hub, it took a hard tap with a brass hammer to move the rim. With the indicator on it, I just keep moving the wheel around and tapping on the rim on the high side tell I was within couple thousand of true. Once there, I soft soldered the spokes on the rim end only.

As far as doing a flywheel that way, I see no problem with it, in fact I am thinking of doing a flywheel using just slighly bigger spokes for another project I want to try to build. So far I have bought flywheels on the engines I have built.

JimN

JimN, great work! I like the way you did the spokes :bow: - Thank you for showing that :)

Kind regards, Arnold

Back