Flywheel patterns for the Upshur farm engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
As Rick (metal butcher) was having trouble sourcing some flywheels the right size for his farm engine build I volunteered to make a pattern up so they could be cast. I met a fellow this past spring who does brass and aluminum casting and he said he wouldn't mind casting some of them up.
Back when I fooled with this stuff as part of my job they had premade fillet material. Boy what I would have given for some of it for this job, instead I had to use some filler material that I use when I build plastic model cars.
Tomorrow I'll pin the patterns together and match the fillets then we'll see what kind of castings they make.
George

FLY PATT 1.jpg

FLY PATT 2.jpg

FLY PATT 4.jpg

FLY PATT 5.jpg

Hi George, what a surprise to see the pattern all most finished up. You were applying the filler just a day or two ago, and It dried a lot faster than I thought it would take. I never expected that you were so far along in the process. The pattern looks really good. Its exactly what we discussed, and what I had in mind.
After the flywheels are cast a few tips on the proper way to machine them would also be appreciated.

I don't know how to thank you for helping me out, and I really appreciate your interest in my project.

Thanks George, your the best! :bow:

-MB

They are looking like they will make some nice fly wheel castings.

Some day I would like to try my hand at casting some parts.
I have access to a 3-d printer I think I could maybe able to use if I were to pay for material used.
I use it for things at work matter fact have a project going on right now that I will be printing out. It's pretty cool how you can take a model and print it out. When we first purchased it I though man if I was into casting this thing could pump out the patterns pretty easy. Anyway I have never asked yet if they would allow me to use it for any personal projects yet.
You'll have to keep us posted at how it goes.

Nice paterns, thanks for posting pics. I am attempting to learn enough about patern making to start creating usefull objects out of my foundry.

Randy

I may be needing a pair as well. Is he going to have some extras for sale?

Hi Dennis,
When he gets ready to cast I'll have him make up some extras for anyone that's building one of the Upshur engines. I'll let you know when I get them and we'll make some arrangements.
George

George, is it ok to use car filler for the fillets, I fancy having a go at some patterns for the pump I am making, but I have never made a pattern before. Yours look excellent and have spurred me on to maybe have a go.

Cheers,
MartinH

George, what is the OD, the hub OD, and the face thickness on those patterns?

Thx...
Chuck

Hi Chuck,
Here's a PDF of the drawing. It is designed for a 3.5 O.D. The edge drawing on the far right has the shrink and finish dimensions on it. I allowed .06 finish on all the machined surfaces. The hub was designed as .625 dia. and I allowed finish on it also. It could be machined or not. The ribs are .25x.375 with a small radius on the edges. All the fillets are .094 give or take a little.
George

View attachment FLYWHEEL FARM ENGINE.pdf

Back