Flycutter and parting toolpost

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagner1975

Reaction score
I guess one can never have enough tools, and since the misses are not gonna let me buy more :mad: I decided to try my hand at making a flycutter, and then use that to make a rear toolpost for a parting tool. Didn't take many pictures, but here are some ...

normal_000%20004.jpg

Turned the flycutter from one piece of 40mm silver steel, to fit my 16mm ER25 collet. Then cut a 10mm slot in the bottom to fit a 10mm tool, and then tapped 3 M5 holes for grub screws. I silversoldered a piece of tungsten into a slot I cut into a 10mm piece of keysteel to use as the cutter. Not perfect :big: but it work, as you can see in the next pics ...

normal_015.jpg

This is the base for the rear toolpost and the T-nuts I made for the Myford.

normal_017.jpg

... and here is the parting tool that I wanna use, and the block that I'm gonna use to mount it in.

normal_1%20002.jpg

I cut with a dovetail cutter until the parting blade was at the correct height, and then made a top to clamp it tight!
And that's it finished and ready to make some chips! ;D

normal_000%20002.jpg

Dialed it in with a DTI and it cut through brass like butter

very nice is that a CNC mill you are using or a custom enclosure?

Thanx for looking in New_Guy :) No it's not CNC mill, it's an Optimum Vario 20 mill.
Here's a pic, sorry I don't know how to turn it upright :-[

normal_IMG_0642.JPG

That's an old picture, I have an ER25 Chuck now, and a new better vice aswell.
It's very nice, but I can see it might become too small in the future!

Kind Regards
Wagner

Thanks for posting posting this thread '75 - a rear toolpost is on my to-do list, and your photos certainly helped me out with visualisation of the process. Nice job.

Thanks Richard, If you want more info, you're welcome to ask! :)
Regards
Wagner

Well done Wagner Thm: and thanks for posting!

I particularly like your rear toolpost; it addresses some issues I've had with mine :big: - and I am mighty envious of your parting tool ;D

Kind regards, Arnold

Thank you very much Arnold, but it's not close to your standards .... maybe one day!!! :big:

Next will be a QCTP ... but have to find suitable plans first! ;D

Regards
Wagner

Latest posts

Back