Flame gulper

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedi

Reaction score
Hi from NZ. This is my flame gulper with internal valve kinda based on a Jan Ridders design but I went in my own direction.
I made enough parts to make about 6 engines but wanted to quickly get this one done for a gift.
Construction is about %95 stainlees steel and using graphite piston and valve.
I'm an engineer by trade so have acess to everything I need including things like wire edm and spark eroding etc.
I did learn a lot from putting this first one together about how important and fussy it is to get it running very freely or it won't work.
My only real issue I have here with this one is that I now know that my piston needs to be very slightly bigger but I can soon fix that and will take what I learnt into getting the others finished without drama.

21.05.10 002.jpg

21.05.10 003.jpg

21.05.10 004.jpg

21.05.10 005.jpg

21.05.10 006.jpg

21.05.10 007.jpg

Welcome to the forum Jedi. That is a very nice looking engine. I know just how finicky they can be to get running, the one shown in my avatar took almost as long to get running as it did to build.

I look forward to seeing a video of it in action.

Welcome to the forum Jedi. That is a very nice looking engine. I know just how finicky they can be to get running, the one shown in my avatar took almost as long to get running as it did to build.

I look forward to seeing a video of it in action.

Cheers,

I have a short clip of it going here [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6dMAppijdZY[/ame]

I have it now running quite well since then.

Reactions: gus
I see yours is just as touchy about it's flame position as mine is. There's just something so cool about flamelickers. I think I'll build another one after my current projects are completed. Thanks for the inspiration.

Man, that's a great looking engine. Welcome to the flame licker club! I love Jan's engines.

I also found flame position to be critical. In fact, more so than timing. I found about 70 degrees of cam position where the engine would still run but it seems a couple mm on the flame placement and it's dead. I also found that they like to be very hot prior to flipping them over - it keeps the hot air from cooling before the valve can shut. I found one guy on YouTube who heats everything with boiling water. I may build one with a water cavity so I can do the same.

Can't wait to see video of all the engines running together!

That's a beautiful engine Jedi, the flywheel design is fabulous; who else would have thought of making one side convex.

Sounds like there are several lucky people who are destined to have a real engine in their collection.

Jim

That looks like a great engine, Jedi! thanks for sharing your work with us

That's a beautiful engine Jedi, the flywheel design is fabulous; who else would have thought of making one side convex.

Jim

ME!!! When my cutoff tool wasn't square and then deflected. ;)

...ved...

Latest posts

Back