First Post...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeR C

Reaction score
I came across your site after Googling “flame eater” engines and pretty much read thru all the old posts. I would like to stay a while and your conventions seem to indicate that this is the place to start.
I am located on the north end of Flathead Lake, Northwestern Montana, USA. During the 3 months of summer the wife and I shoot in UPSA Multigun, bowling pin, and misc. other matches as well as recreationally pan for gold,
sapphires, quartz, garnets, and whatever else we can dig up. As much camping is done as we have time for as I have a full time job.
The winter months, just about the rest of the year, are “shop season”. I have a 24’ X 24’ shop attached to the house with a 9X19 Grizzly, a 6” Atlas, a Jet benchmill, and a CNC Jr. benchmill. The machines share the shop with a table saw, small planer, air compressor, several reloading presses as well as all the scrap metal and wood needed for making “stuff”. There are several workbenches as well but I have not seen their tops for years, neatness is not one of my failings.
I have put together several small engines, and to my surprise they ran, and I have several more castings sets from Tiny Power, some started and some still in the box and stacks of plans and magazines just full of shiny new projects to start!. I am very good at starting a project but can’t seem to complete it before I get side-tracked by the next “shiny new thing” that catches my interest. I am hoping this “support” group is going to help me get a few projects actually finished :)
I am not a machinist by trade but did take “Metal Shop” when it was still PC to teach a child to use their hands for something besides using a joystick. About all I remember from those classes is the need for a solidly fixed work piece and sharp tools, but getting there is sometimes a trial. I have actually learned quite a bit from just reading the back posts and look forward to the posts to come.
Thanks to all that have taken the time to document projects and methods of doing things. I hope to be able to contribute as well…

MikeR C

Welcome Mike. It sounds like you lead an interesting life!!! The folks on this forum are very helpfull, and a good bunch to "Hang out" with.----Brian

Welcome to the forum Mike. Look forward to seeing more from you.
Support is always a contribution.

Welcome MikeRC from Melbourne Australia.

A great place to share ideas and workbuilds

Cheers
Phil

MikeRC,
Welcome to the Forum.
I have spent some enjoyable times in NW Montana (Columbia Falls) and on Flathead lake.
I think you will find that most of us have a "Shop Season" where we spend more time in the shop then outside. For some, (like you and I), it is becasue it is too darn cold out to do anything outside. For others, it is because it is too blasted hot out.

We would love to see Pictures and videos of your stuff. (Engine and/or workshop).

Jim from Minnesota

Coupla years back I rebuilt a 1916 fairbanks Morse 3hp. When I started looking around on the net I was suprised at how many old hit-miss and hot air engines are in Australia. There are a lot of fine Australian modelers on the Paddleducks site also, looks like the British sent the cream of the modeler crop there :)

Thanks for the welcome,
MikeR C

QuickJ,
I go to work in Columbia Falls every day. You moved from Northwest Montana to Minnesota, your climate didn't change much :)
I figured to dig out my old engines and take some pics and post 'em. I have a pile of questions too, I'm all fired up to get out some of the engines I've started and work on them. Although after going thru the old posts I have seen a zillion more I want to start! I'm not sure I'm gonna get cured at this site.

MikeR C

I'm not sure I'm gonna get cured at this site.

beware ..... there is no cure ...... :big:

Welcome and look forward to seeing some of your engines !!

Mike

Welcome, this site got me addicted to the "art" of engine building.
Since I have been here I have seen a bunch become addicts as well.
-B-

Welcome Mike, You are in a beautiful part of the country. I spent 4 Summers in my late teens working for an outfitter and packing groups into the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. That was a long time ago now, but the memories of those summers are still vivid. As others have said, we love pics here and will look forward to seeing some of your projects and shop.

Regards,
Bill

Mike,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back