First post.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epicyclic

Reaction score
Great site/forums you have here.
Im thrilled to have come across it! woohoo1

Im about to try starting on my very first model engine project, so i hope you folks don't mind if i pester you with questions.

??? + *discussion* = :idea:

I have a 6x10 mini lathe and an SX1 micro mill, along with the following tooling-

4 inch rotary table (dividing plate & tailstock)
3 inch 3&4 jaw chucks (fits adapter plate for RT)
Various hss cutters and tool blanks
small milling vise
clamping kits
hss endmills (4 flute)
DTI's metric and inch, w/mag base
And a bunch of other odds and ends.

I have some background in basic machining processes, and ive worked as a bench jeweler for over 10 years.

Anyone have suggestions for a first engine project?

Welcome Epi - ask away

Epi,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome Epi. Sounds like you are well outfitted for a go at your first engine project. The rotart table and chick to RT adapters should come in handy as well for many things. There are lots of good first projects...a small oscillating cylinder, or simple single acting design would be good choices. Check out the downloads area or places like www.john-tom.com for lots of ideas and free plans.

Regards,

Bill

Welcome to HMEM Epi. There are several engines that are suitable to the beginner on the link given above (John-Tom.com) and even a few plans here on this site in the downloads section. The #25 from John-Tom is a good choice (it is actually one of many designed by Elmer Verburg and has been used many times as a first engine. I also like to recommend the "E-Z" engine and "The Pug" engine plans (available on this site) as they too are relatively simple and do not require fancy tooling or setups to complete. Ask all the questions you need to and I am sure that you will be successful in whatever engine project you select. The vast amount of knowledge and varying skill levels available to a person here makes it difficult if not impossible to go wrong if one is only willing to ask questions and listen to suggestions. Your experience in jewelry will make it a bit easier for you working to close tolerances so it should provide an extra measure of enjoyment. Don't forget to take pictures as we love LOVE pictures! ;D

Best regards

BC1
Jim

Im just trying to figure out how much i can build before i have to buy more.

Like i said, newb shop pics to follow.

:D

You'd be suprised how far you can get with small equipment. wEc1 th_wwp th_wwp th_wwp

Dave ;D

Building a simple engine will tell you what tools you will want for more complex ones. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back