First build, an EZ Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dean, the size of the piston would be dictated by the minimum wall thickness required for structual integrity. As I have .6825 min stock thickness, across the center of the 'D' shape, if I allow for a 1/8" cylinder wall thickness, that would leave me with .4325" for max dia of the piston. For practical dimentions, 3/8" would work...
Jim, I'll remember the cardboard trick, that's a good one.
Dean, I don't have much character yet, I'll take all you'll send me! LOL, I'm too lazy to grow my own, I'd rather figure out the easy way!

Chuck in E. TN

chucketn said:
As I have .6825 min stock thickness, across the center of the 'D' shape, if I allow for a 1/8" cylinder wall thickness, that would leave me with .4325" for max dia of the piston.

Oh, then you can just make it 7/16", Chuck. That's within .005" of the size you quoted, and you can
use standard tooling. It's also closer to the print dimension than 3/8". It will do fine.

Dean, I don't have much character yet, I'll take all you'll send me! LOL, I'm too lazy to grow my own, I'd rather figure out the easy way!

Well, according to Jim, you can get all you want from your hacksaw. I hope he's right! ;)
Makes one of your arms nice and strong, too. What a bonus!

Dean

I'll work over the figures on a 7/16 piston tomorrow.
As for the arms, at my age, I have to swap hands on the hack saw quite regular, so both arms should develop at the same pace. To bad there's not a belly buster hack saw, I could use one of those!

Chuck in E. TN

chucketn said:
I'll work over the figures on a 7/16 piston tomorrow.
As for the arms, at my age, I have to swap hands on the hack saw quite regular, so both arms should develop at the same pace. To bad there's not a belly buster hack saw, I could use one of those!

Chuck in E. TN

Chuck

If you keep your hands on the hack saw (even if you have to swap them) long enough, the belly will take care of itself. I believe it's the hands that feed it! :hDe:

Cheers :)

Don

While perusing the "Build from a Casting" area, another question came to mind. Ads my cylinders are made from a flat sided bar stock, what would be more ascetically pleasing, cylinder bore concentric to the round edge, or centered between the vertical edge and rounded edge?

Chuck in E. TN

I would think that you would wish to center the cylinder bore concentric to the round edge if I understand your question correctly Chuck. Or perhaps something like this, without the crosshead trunk of course. Whatever it is you decide to do, it will be a fine tribute to your Father I'm sure. If you have enough stock, try making a cylinder both ways and choose which one you think has the best eye appeal. :bow:

BC1
Jim

DSCN2043 copy.JPG

I had a real good day in the shop yesterday. I finished the valve side of the EZ-Build including the linkage. It spins nicely. Bear in mind, the common slot screws on the valve body will be replaced with pan heads to match those on the linkage when I find some of the correct length. Today, I will work on the piston side.

DSCF0975.jpg

DSCF0976.jpg

I do have a question. I want to add a piece of 1/8” brass tube for the air intake. What is the best way to cut thin walled brass tube so it won’t be distorted?

What I have completed is still rough, bling to come later. I want it running first!

Another question: any free plans for a simple flame gulper out there? I am fascinated by them. Where do you get the tiny brass alcohol lamps for them? Are they hand made as well?

Man, this engine building is indeed addictive! And I’ve learned so much! Thanks to this board and all those who have commented and helped. I don’t always take advice, but I do think about what is given.

Chuck in E. TN

Chuck,

Looking good.

In regards to proper length screws, I purchase a box of 100 screws that are 1 inch long, then trim them to the needed length. Buying them in bulk on-line is sure a lot cheaper than buying them 10 at a time at a Hobby Shop.

SAM

Yes, Sam, I agree. but paying $10 shipping on a $10 part reeaaly gets my goat! I save paying for shipping for things I can't get locally at a decent price.

Chuck in E. TN

Coming along just fine.

chucketn said:
I do have a question. I want to add a piece of 1/8” brass tube for the air intake. What is the best way to cut thin walled brass tube so it won’t be distorted?

Another member suggested I use a very sharp razor blade (single edge) and roll it back and forth over the tube. Take it slow and easy at first or else it'll wander. It worked for me but there may be better ways.

Another good day! Today I made the crank pivot, turned the piston, drilled and honed the cylinder and made the piston linkage, all while trying to watch bits of the NASCAR race at Loudon. Almost done!
As I do not have any reamers, after drilling the piston cylinder, I found the best way to get a good fit was to use valve laping compound to hone the piston in the cylinder. I get a nice 'pop pulling the piston out of it's cylinder.
Had to make a temporary piston link to figure out the dimensions of the final link. I’ll finish that tomorrow, along with the intake supply tube, and then she’s finished…Except for the bling…
Wohoo! Promise, running video tomorrow! ;D

Chuck in E. TN

As promised, a video! She’s a runner! I am soooo pleased!

Lots of refinement needed yet, and the bling, of course…

Many thanks to those who designed and documented the EZ Build. Now I have another addiction! I have learned so much from this build. And thanks to those that guided me along the way.

As I said in earlier posts, this was built from my late Dad's material collection, with a lot of his tools. The only 'new' part is the brass tube for the intake.

Next build will definitely be a Flame Gulper!

Chuck in E. TN

Nice one Chuck, they work great don't they. woohoo1

Nick

Nice job Chuck, and a nice video too. Such a sense of accomplishment when they first run isn't it....enjoy!!

Bill

Nice going Chuck!

I need a quiet air supply too. When I made my last video I had to move the air compressor out of the room.

Looking forward to your next.

-Trout

Yaay Chuck! Isn't it a beautiful sight?
Good work. You are now an engine builder!

Dean

Way to go Chuck.

I love to watch these engines run.

Keep building and keep posting your build pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

SAM

Back