First model engine, Need help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive recently started building my first occilateing steam engine, im 16 and need some help, The websight that i got the plans from didnt clearly state any dementions, theyre fuzzy and hard to read, [ http://npmccabe.tripod.com/index-html And http://npmccabe.tripod.com/index-5.html ] If anyone could help, either by decyphering the dementions or possibly provideing me plans for a simmiler engine, i will be so thankfull.

Heathcliff

First welcome to the club!

Second, you could try the wobbler from LMS. HERE is the link.

If that doesn't work for you, I have links for others.

Eric

Hi Heathcliff
I am not sure the following is ethical but here goes.
The wicked thing about the lms free plans is
they are one to one scale meaning cut them out
glue them to your stock and punch holes where indicated.
It took about a week to make my first LMS engine using
rulers and about two hours using the glue method. "
I will vehemently deny having said this"
Best of luck
Baldrocker

Heathcliff, welcome to HMEM!! It is great to see that the younger generation is picking up the torch!

The others have pointed you to some great options. My addition to this: ask as many questions as you need. There is a wealth of talent here, and tapping (no pun intended) into it is very easy.

Thanks so much you guys for the help, and if anyone has anyplans of any kind of engine, steam gas, turbine, diesel, hit and miss, you name it, please, i would appreciate any plans, thanks

also, anyone have any idea of how to make a small boiler that could run on alcohol?

baldrocker said:
Hi Heathcliff
I am not sure the following is ethical but here goes.
The wicked thing about the lms free plans is
they are one to one scale meaning cut them out
glue them to your stock and punch holes where indicated.
It took about a week to make my first LMS engine using
rulers and about two hours using the glue method. "
I will vehemently deny having said this"
Best of luck
Baldrocker
The above method is used more in woodworking and sheet metal work than machining. But if it works, great. I will not turn any "Offenders " in to the Machining police LOL.
I would not recommend that fairly small oscillator as a first project. I built a similar one to that and even after running for many hours it still needs much higher pressure to run than most of my engines.
The runner design on the McCabe web site is a good engine for beginners. The first one I built flew apart the first time I ran it because it ran so fast. I suggest if you build one put a dab of lock tight on the con rod screw and the valve arm screw if not one or the other will want to back out.
Tin

Back