first build hit and miss ignition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
Im building Brian Rupnow's build--Hit and Miss air/steam engine but id like to convert it so I can run it on gas or diesel. How would I go putting a ignition on it been searching the web cant find much info. Could I use a glow plug from a model rc os engine any info would be great.

Reefman---First, let me congratulate you on building my engine. Secondly, that engine has only a 7:1 compression ratio, so if ran as a diesel, you would have to add some material to the top of the piston to boost the compression ratio. For diesel, you would also have to add a pump and injectors. I don't have a great deal of knowledge about diesels, but I don't think the Viton o-ring I specified would work with the higher compression ratios a diesel requires. As far as ignition is concerned---If you read through my build of the engine I give all of the info required for a conventional sparkplug, ignition points, and coil and 12 volt battery. I decided at the end of my build to purchase a CDI electronic ignition from Roy Sholl, but only because I was having starting issues which were eventually traced back to a faulty ignition coil.---Brian Rupnow.

So are you saying make the piston bigger or add a resess to the head so there's space for ignition. What about running it on gas

Latest posts

Back