finish for brass

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombstone

Reaction score
Hi All
Is it possible to get an antique weathered bronze cast finish on a brass machined part preferably without using too many chemicals
Ray

Hi Tombstone,
I have never heard of anyone doing this. But is a kind of good idea. If you look into bronze patinas for statuary. On Google is where I would start, they might have some info on brass. I have a book on bronze patinas and I will look for it.

Exposure to chlorides will turn copper brass & bronze green and exposure to sulfurs will give a brown patina. I use sulfur tablets I get from a green house supply. Inside a large box I heat a few pellets in a tin over a hot plate and a little bit of water in another tin. I then hang the parts in the box and put a lid on the box. The steamy sulfur atmosphere works quickly. Best done outside as this is a deadly gas and it stinks. They use it in the green house to kill bugs and to combat molds and mildew.

Sandblast or beadblast the bronze first to get that sandcast look, then add the weathering chemicals.

Hi Everybody
Thanks for the suggestions I have the materials to hand including a metal blacking kit left over from the whittle v8 I will turn up some scrap bits of brass and see how it turns out incidentally it is for a small desktop galleon style model cannon with about 2' long barrel
Ray

Back