fingers skin peeling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarioM

Reaction score
Hi to all,
It has been happening to me for a few months that after spending time at the workshop, my fingers skin starts to peel. It is strange, no pain, no itching, have never happened before, and I have spent a lot of time in the workshop all my life. I have not been doing any special work or handling different products. Age?.....vitamins?......allergies?..wonder what it is?
Any similar experience or opinion will be very welcome.

Thank you,
Mario

I had the skin on my fingers and palms coming off in very large pieces (like the entire palm would come off) a few years ago.
The skin underneath was fully matured and there was no pain for me either...
I was eating about 20lbs of cherries a day though (building a log house in an old cherry/apple orchard) so I just figured that was the reason.

Mario,

going to need more info. peeling skin suggests excess uric acid(might be spelled wrong, my chem training was in another language)

have you been handling anything different?

I used to spend long hours in the darkroom for years without an incident, then I began to note that the skin of my fingers and eyelids began to peel. It was an allergy that I developed (no pun intended) after years of working with photographic chemicals, particulary with the fixer. I used more protection such as rubber gloves, googles and a mask, all these helped a lot but I had to limit my time working with the trays. My allergic reaction was not instantaneous, it took years to develop, first I was a bit puzzled because I hadn't done anything different when the peeling began. The first thing my doctor told me to do was to stay away from chemicals and processed foods.

I now have the same whenever I work with timber for extended days on end. I just use any suitable manly type moisturizer! I think minor contact dermatitis it was called?

cheers, Ian

mine is a weird one, gutting fish makes my skin peel and itch

eat a lot of fish however, no problem.

Hi to all,
It has been happening to me for a few months that after spending time at the workshop, my fingers skin starts to peel. It is strange, no pain, no itching, have never happened before, and I have spent a lot of time in the workshop all my life. I have not been doing any special work or handling different products. Age?.....vitamins?......allergies?..wonder what it is?
Any similar experience or opinion will be very welcome.

Thank you,
Mario

Hi Mario,

Similar thing happened to me some years ago,
Turned out to be an allergic reaction to the coolant I was using. Shifted to a different brand and now is all good.

Baz.

Albert is correct, you can develop allergies to things you have had no problem with for years. Barrier cream, latex gloves, change products like the suggested coolant above would be the first line to take.
Maybe see a dermatologist if it continues. Or try antihistamine pills.

Years ago, I was a machine operator. The job required my hands to be in cutting oil a LOT. Skin peeled off of my fingers and the new skin was soft, thin and tender. Lost the job and the peeling went away.

Bill

Thank you very much for the information. I will start changing the soap I use for washing my hands and clean the oil after working and also will try to stop using the cutting oil for a while to see what happens.

Mario

I have a few skin problems and the dermatologist told me to use a pure soap.
As I got older washing up liquid started to cause the top my hand to come out in small blisters.
Some of these houshold products can be very detrimental to your skin.

Paul

Emulsifying and wetting agents such as those used in photo processing and machining are well known for causing non-harmful, irritating skin complaints, but it is vitally important that you have your symptoms checked by trained medical personnel, as the temptation to assume that it's nothing more serious than a simple side effect can lead you to ignore what could in rare circumstances be potentially serious conditions.

HI:),
I agree with what the others are saying. I would be looking at what new products that You might have introduced into Your Shed ie oils, Coolant and sprays.

I have a similar problem, and I work in an office all day. It usually happens to my index finger and thumb. The skin actually turns white and then I peel it off. Sometimes all at once and other times in small pieces. I am exposed to motor oil and other household chemicals on the weekends. The main one seems to be paint thinner (mineral spirits). There is no pain involved, just a nusiance.

"G"

Latest posts

Back