Finding the tools after a move... - or - I'll have some cheese with my whine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Viking

Reaction score
We moved into our house almost a year ago. One anoying thing is that I am still unable to locate some of my tools. ??? Before we moved I knew where every thing was located. I had taken the job I have now and I was 900 miles away from the work of packing the items. My son took on the challenge and did a great job at packing everything up. What has me is that I have found almost everything at this point except my magnetic base and dial indicator.

Thanks for reading my rant.

I hear you brother. We moved a year and a half ago and a couple things are still somewhere, just not quite sure where. ???
Ernie J

Here ya' go...you can borrow one of mine until you find your's.
29987-989.jpg

:big: :big: :big: :big: :big:

I'm going to do some clean up in the garage today. The drag everything out and then put it back in order. Hopefully I'll find it then. :)

heres one in my case ive had to build a new shed for my machines because next door has built his bloody garden decking onto the back wall of my brick wash house where it all was i dont mind it being there but my machines vibrate that wall thus vibrateing the decking and amplifying the vibration somewhat then out of the decking it travels to his 8ft wide patio doors getting amplified again (prick) hes now put an official complaint in to the local council who ordered me to move the machines so i built my shed at the bottom of the garden its during this move i dropped my pillar drill convert milling machine smashing it to shrapnel and i cant afford to buy a new one coz i spent it all building the sodding shed my project of building one from scrap is in the plans section at the mo (the things we just have to do eh )

I thought that the town (or governing entity) would have a set back from the property line for any construction, especially new construction. If your shop was existing before his add-on, by all rights you should have been ok. I guess I can't complain as I'll probably have to spend very little to replace my indicator compared to your mill.

I did go thruough a bunch of boxes that were stacked in the one side of the garage. I found some other things I had forgotten about but no indicator.

John,

My commiserations on both fronts, (the mill and the wash house). Of course the laws differ in each country but for him to attach his decking to your existing wall, the said wall must ??? be on the property boundary. Surely he should have asked your permission before attaching anything to something which is not his. Further IMHO it should be his responsibility to ensure that the structure he erected is fit for the purpose, i.e. it does not transmit existing vibrations from an existing structure to his new one.

Just my thoughts on it but it's probably a civil matter and unless you've got pots of money.......................

Best Regards
Bob

BAH101 said:
Maybe, now that you are not using the wash house, tear it down, as it is not needed. Then his deck will fall over ;D
just about 3/4 the way through makeing a new mill and the wash house is now full of gardening stuff and ive got loads of new space for my half finnished projects hee hee :D

I am relieved! I found it on a non related look through some boxes. In a box labelled "garage misc". Glad I didn't go an buy another one. Found a stick of lube wax there too.

Life is good ;D

Viking...

I am in the midst of exactly the same deal. I moved about 7 weeks ago. I desperately needed my corded drill to make an emergency repair.

Nowhere to be found. I spent an hour searching. Had to drive 45 minutes away to borrow one from my uncle.

Of course the stinking thing appeared two days later as I was cleaning up in the workshop!

I hate moving. Hate. HATE! :D

A doctor once told me the most stressful occasion in anyone's life is moving house.I believe it's absolutely true.
Thank god I've only done it twice,and I don't intend to do it again. ;D

bentprop said:
A doctor once told me the most stressful occasion in anyone's life is moving house.I believe it's absolutely true.

Bloody hell, no wonder I had a heart attack, this latest one was my 14th ;D This is also the second house I planned on leaving in a pine box and this time a lot more pages have been filled out in the book of life. ;D The only upside to moving I can think of is how much you manage to throw away which had previously been indispensable.

Best Regards
Bob

bentprop said:
on the stress thing i reacon the next thing to moveing would be chooseing wallpaper and deciding on decorating the house with the missus lmfao

Yup, I'd rate wallpaper and painting right up there with moving. We've gotten better although it has taken 15 years to do that. :eek:

One of our moves we had the time to mark each box and write the contents into a notebook. That was the best move ever. I have some items that I leave in those original boxes as I can look at them and usually at a glance know what is in the box. We also did it by area like the attic boxes all began with A, master bedroom was MB, and so on. Unfortunately I was not home to be involved this time.

Back