File work; A few words.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanofid

Reaction score
Hi all;

A few of the fellows who are looking in on my build project in the Work in Progress section
said they would like to know a little more about filing. So, I'll start a thread here in the
hope that other guys with some experience with a file will join in. It's not like it's a lost art,
or something, but it's one of those things that takes a little learning.

First a little bit on files themselves, and other stuff.

1.jpg

Right after that first old metal worker invented the chisel, he probably came up with the
file too. Once he had a file and chisel, along with a hammer, he probably became the first
machinist. That's the story, anyway.

Above is a shot of a few different kinds of files and a couple other things.

2.jpg

Something that is handy when filing is a piece of chalk. Some people like a certain type.
The type that is kind of soft seems to work best for me. The hard chalkboard kind seems
to make a lot more dust and falls out of the file faster.

The chalk is used to "chalk" the file. By filling all the grooves of the file with chalk,
it helps prevent pinning. Pinning is the result of the file taking a cut, and is just part
of the process with some kinds of metal. The problem starts when the little pins
get stuck in the teeth of the file. Then you start having problems with finish, and
the file won't cut as well. The chalk helps to keep those pins from sticking in the file.
The best way to deal with pinning is to prevent it. To chalk the file, run the chalk
over the file teeth and let it fill them. If you don't mind a mess, you can keep oil on
the file, and it will also help stop pinning. I've tried this, and it works, but the file has
to be fairly dripping with oil. I like chalk better.

3.jpg

This is a file card, or file brush. It's used to clean stubborn bits from the file teeth. (If
you chalk, you won't have to use this so often...) Some materials are simply gummy,
and will stick in the file teeth, even with chalk. The file card will help get it out.

Some folks don't like these. A few guys have told me that they dull the file. I don't
know how you dull something that is dead hard without something else that is dead
hard, and I don't think the bristles on the brush are.
I use one of these when I think it is necessary. Some guys are with me on that, some
are again' me. You just have to decide for yourself on that. Often, if you chalk the file
regularly, the pins will just fall out of the teeth when you tap the file on the work bench.
Each time you tap the file, or clean it with the brush, you need to chalk it again.

4.jpg

Part of success with files, is using the right one for the job.

The file above is a double cut mill bastard, and it's made for heavy material removal, but
it won't make a real smooth finish as easily. If this is the only kind of file you have, you need
more files. You can see, if you look close, that it looks like it has a bunch of diamond
points on it. That's from the double cuts crossing.

5.jpg

This is a single cut smooth flat, the same length as the file in the previous picture. It makes
a much smoother cut, but doesn't remove material as fast.

These two files are both 8" long. The cut on a file is dependant on the length of the file.
All of the cuts for a given length of file will match from the finest to the coarsest cut, only
for the given length of the file. So, if you desire a full range of cuts in a set of files, get them
all in the same length.

6.jpg

This is a single cut mill bastard, which looks much like the previous picture, except
smoother. It's only 6" long, but if it were 8", it would be a faster cutting file than the
8" smooth cut in the previous pic. That's what I mean about all sizes being relative
only to each other. The 6" file of a coarser cut can be smoother than an 8" file of a
finer cut.

7.jpg

This is a taper file, and it's triangular shape is good for cleaning up corners, (in the smaller
sizes of files), but it is also easy to screw things up because of the 120 degree angle.

8.jpg

This is a ruined file, and I'm putting it here so you will know what to look for. If you're
not into filing, then you may not realize that the reason you have a hard time getting
a good finish is because your file is ruined.

This damage was done, by me, in a "dumb mistake" moment. Cutting a piece of hard
steel on the lathe, the bit suddenly dulled because I'd work hardened a spot on the
work piece in the previous pass. Sometimes you can get a file under a hard spot and
pull out the work hardened spot, but I didn't go at it with enough conviction and the file
skipped over the hard spot. In a second, a good file was relegated to the scrap "hard"
bin.
Save your ruined files. They can be used for other tooling. There's not much in your
shop that is harder than a file, and you can heat them and make cutters from them.

9.jpg

So, everyone is probably thinking, "when is he going to get done blabbering about files
and do something"..
Okay, when you set up something to file, first, get it in a position that will lead to a
good result. That means start with your piece held firmly, and start with it "on the level".
Starting with the piece level will help to keep the cut level. Put it in a position that is
comfortable to work on. You want to position yourself in a way that you will not lean
to one side. If you are leaning, your cut will likely be leaning too.

10.jpg

Filing is not sawing. Probably one of the biggest mistakes made, and often seen, is someone
sawing away at a piece with a file. The file is made to cut in one direction, (for regular filing).
Push the file away from you.

Chalk your file. Get in postion behind the work piece and lay the file flat on it. Rock it side
to side to make sure you are not putting more down pressure on one side. Hold the file with
both hands. One hand grips the flat end of the file, either by lightly pinching it between your
fingers, or, if it is a great big ol'file, put the ball of your palm on the flat end of the file, and wrap
your fingers around the end. The other hand goes on the HANDLE. You need handles on all
your files. That goes double if you are using the file on the lathe! The handle not only gives you something to hold onto. It keeps the file tang from piercing your tender body if you should
happen to run the file into a spinning lathe chuck. It also greatly increases your control of the
file, helping you make better cuts.

Start off with a couple of light cuts, pushing away from you as in the picture above. Push
with an even stroke, going the same speed at the end as as the beginning of the stroke.
As you reach the end of the stroke, lift the file slightly so it just comes off the work. Then
go back to the starting position and make another stroke, making sure to get the file flat
on the work piece again.

After a couple of strokes, look at the work piece. By examining the cut, you can determine
if you are holding the file flat. Is the cut the same width on both sides? If not, now is the
time to correct the problem, before you get half way into the work and have a big mess to
straighten out. This takes practice. There's no way of getting around that. It's a technique
that takes a bit to figure out. If you continually get a cut that is deeper on one side than the
other, reposition your body and try again. Just moving yourself an inch or two to the right or
left can make the difference.

If you sit while you are filing, like you would when working on a very small piece
and need to get your face close to see, keep your elbows off the work bench. If
you put one elbow down, you will probably cut a slant, as you tend to slide the
file toward the planted elbow. Keep the elbows up.

11.jpg

Here's a shot of how you would grip a larger file. Instead of pinching the end between
the fingers, make a fist around it. The file in the picture is not big enough for this grip, (for me),
but it's the largest one I had handy. Usually you will use a fist grip on the end if you are using
a 12-14" or longer file that has a coarse cut, like a big double cut or a rasp.

How much down pressure you use depends on the file, and how smooth you want the
finish. If you are roughing a piece down with a double cut file, you can push down pretty hard,
but the stroke still needs to be steady throughout.

For finishing cuts with a fine file, less pressure is needed. As you come to your final strokes
on a finish cut, you only need enough down pressure to keep the file from skipping over the
cut. You want it to cut every time, no matter how light you press on it. If it doesn't cut a
little, you can get chatter, just like with a lathe or mill. A good, (or new) file will cut with very
little down pressure.

12.jpg

This shot, and the next, demonstrate draw filing. Draw filing is a method of getting very fine
finishes with certain file cuts, and for doing work on thin edge sections, like the spokes on a
wheel, (clock gear). If you want to file the edge of a piece of 1/16" thick metal, this is about
the best way to do it. Filing across such an edge will sometimes make so much vibration that
it's impossible to get a good finish, but draw filing along the edge makes it easy. To start a
draw file stroke, put the file on the work piece sideways, at the point on the piece that is farthest
away from you, and "draw" it toward you, as in the picture above.

13.jpg

Pull the file toward you, and end your stroke at an imaginary point somewhere past the point
where the file comes off the work. All the things about regular filing apply, with regards to a
steady stroke, even pressure, and keeping the file flat on the work piece.

Because of the need to use both hands for the demo shot, and to get my hands in the picture
while keeping out of the way of the camera, my grip is not optimum for demonstrating this.
Normally, I would grip the file the same with both hands, and usually more like the grip on the
left. The main thing is to do it in a position that will let you keep the file flat, and pull it toward
you with an even stroke. Take care not to increase the down pressure on the file as you bring
it toward you. It's what you are normally going to want to do, so concentrate on that aspect.

The following two shots are just examples from my current engine build.

14.jpg

This first shot is before filing.

15.jpg

And this is after a few minutes with a 6" single cut mill bastard. This is about as smooth as
I want this piece, because I want it to maintain more of a sheen than a shine. With finer files,
you can make things almost bright looking, and from there about all that can be done is light
sanding.

I hope this wasn't over long for a single post. It's mainly basic information. I know by looking
at some of the work on this forum that there are some pretty good file hands here. If you're
one of those guys, please join in with your comments, or corrections to my explanations.

Dean

Very nice post. I had never heard of using chalk. Now its off to raid my grand daughter's side walk chalk box. :big: Some really good and useful tips.

Beautiful tutorial Dean! :bow:

That is the craftsmanship that has been lost over the years.
100 years ago every machined part was hand finished.
It is a dying art but not dead yet!

Great post!

Rick

Fantastic Dean. Great help. Thank you very much for a great post.

A silly question...when you chalk a file...do you rub the chalk along the length of the file or across the file.

black85vette...taking chalk from a grand-daughter is like...is like...well it just shouldn't be done.

Just run it from one end of the file to the other, Zee, like if you were filing the chalk.

Dean

And this post could not be more timely. I have some hunks of 1018 CRS I need to lay some file foo onto. Thanks Dean!

Thank you for taking the time to create such a complete post. Files are amazing, before I got into machining, my machine tools were a hack saw and some files.

One little tidbit that I just recently figured out: I always keep files protected from each other and from other tools. Flat files are usually easy because you can simply keep the file between a couple pieces of cardboard with rubber bands holding them, if you don't have anything better. But, with small round files, I kept them in a special secluded spot in my tool box until I figured out that I could just slip a drinking straw over them. Mind you, these are small diameter round files Chainsaw sharpening files to be specific, not that I sharpen chain saws, I just like the files. The type of straw with the flex part so that you can bend it over the edge of your glass grips on the smaller round files, and if you pull the flex part so that it is stretched out, it will work on files with slightly larger diameter. Of course, it depends on the drinking straw also, the do come in different diameters.

Anyway, that's my cents worth...

Russ

Very comprehensive post Dean.

This is very useful information for me a sI do not have a mill and finish most of my flattened items with a file.

Post will be improved even more if you can include information on filing jigs. I have seen one application in a book I have called "The Amateurs Lathe" but the information and picture were not detailed sufficiently for me to make one. Filing jigs can be used in the lathe for making flats and would be especially useful if one can index the Lathe Chuck.

Your work is much appreciated.

Phil

Dean, you pretty much covered the basics :bow:

A big part of getting a good result from filing is also one's attitude. Unfortunately, some people look down on filing as a "menial" thing to do.
With a positive approach and some practice, one can get very good and accurate results, which provide a very rewarding and satisfying feeling.

Some people have the notion that you cannot use the same files for different materials; IMHO that is hogwash. A good clean like Dean described before changing to a different material is essential though for good results. Marv has mentioned in a couple of places the use of flattened spent rifle shells for cleaning files.

I haven't had much shop time of late; I'll try and add some examples of methods & setups I use for filing over the weekend.

Regards, Arnold

"...Start with your work piece held firmly."

It wasn't until I actually(accidentally) tightened down and secured an old chinese wrench enough to stop it from moving even a little bit, that I had any luck getting a fine finish with a file. The result was a surprise for me. I've gone on in moments of boredom and cleaned up a couple of others.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know about chalk. I've been using hard rolls of cardboard and cleaning the file on the ends. ;D

Wonderful pictures too!
Kermit

Thanks loads Dean.

I didn't know it was so involved.

Ron

Dean,
A karma to you sir for this very comprehensive description of files and their proper use. :bow: I'll reread this post from time to time for sure. Some ancient nuerons in the darkest recesses of my mind fired off - memories of my shopclass in high school 45 years ago.

Cheers,
Phil

Excellent post!

Two thoughts to add:

1. Oiling rather than chalking is very messy, but I find it expedient at the lathe. I keep my lathe file (there are "lathe" files that are ground to be used at the lathe) in a tube filled with cutting oil. It just stands upright in that tube near the lathe. The tube is fixed to my equivalent of peg board. It's easy to reach over and grab it. The oil and lathe are very compatible I find. If it starts to run dry, easy to dip in again.

2. Look for a file brush that has not just the wires, but an actual brush on the other side. This is a Guy Lautard recommendation. I always liked using the regular bristles first, and if that wasn't enough, then I'd break out the wire bristles.

Cheers,

BW

I've been asked any number of times over the years What's your most often used tool? and I put my answer to them in terms of "touches", that is, during a typical workshop session what is the tool I touch most often, and the answer (always to their great surprise) is my FILES.

Save your brass scraps and make file cleaners out of them.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like to use a file card on his good files - most especially the delicate needle files. Take your scrap brass and rub it on the file parallel to the planes of the teeth. The brass will quickly wear to become a perfectly matching fit to the file teeth depth and spacing and thus will act to push out any bits caught in the tooth gullets.

I want to re-emphasize Dean's advice to hold your workpiece securely while filing. If both the work and the file can move, all that results is an aimless dance that removes little material from all the wrong location. Strapping down tiny parts to file them can often require some considerable ingenuity, but it is essential. Just because you can hold small parts to file doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

Dean hasn't yet said anything about safe edges so I will. Most files have teeth on both surfaces of the blade. Many files have teeth on the edges of the blade - in effect creating a very narrow file whose width is the thickness of the blade. Sometimes those edge teeth can be useful but, in many cases, they interfere with getting a job done. If you want to use the edge of the file as a guide while cutting, the presence of those teeth means you'll be chewing up whatever surface you use as a guide.

Some files are sold with what is referred to as "safe" edges. The teeth on one (or more) of the edges have been ground away to leave a smooth surface that won't cut if you use it as a guide while cutting.

As you do more filing, you'll begin to see the advantages of safe edges. If you don't have the right safe-edge file in your collection, it's simple to manufacture what you need. Simply grind away the teeth on whatever edge needs to be safe.

Files are precision edged tools and need to be treated kindly and stored carefully. Hopefully Dean will talk about that subject in future contributions to this thread.

What you are conveying is very true Mike. I can distinctly remember the machine shop instructor in college taking a brand new file over to the grinder and removing the edge teeth, all the while sort of grimacing and looking for forgiveness ll at the same time. It broke his heart to have to do that to a perfectly good file but as he stated, most of the time you are not going to need the edges anyway. To this day, whenever I get a file that is edge cutting, I do the same ritual. It makes getting right up to the corners a whole lot easier.

BC1
Jim

Dang. If you hang out here long enough you will certainly learn a bunch!! Now I know about chalk and brass. Have plenty of scrap bits of brass around. I will give this a try. Thanks.

Dean - just to repeat what has already been said - thanks very much for the time and effort (and pictures!) that you put into this - very useful indeed for a beginner like me :bow: :bow: :bow: Regards, A

Back