file cleaning

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianhorsepower

Reaction score
Hi guys, just curious what are most of you using to clean your file
metal file of course
thanks

I use a file card which is more a short haired wire brush.

J

Can't remember what book it was that I read, one of the workshop practice series or maybe a Tubal Cain book, but the author recommended rubbing candle wax on the file before using as it reduces clogging and it made cleaning much easier.
I think it was candle wax... damn, wish I could remember which book it was!

For stubborn bits in the file I get a small bit of sheet metal and rub edge wise across till there is a copy of the file teeth.
That has got rid of the most stubborn inclusion.

Paul

Actually it wasn't! It was French chalk- the stuff that I used to mark out when I was tent making. If St.Paul could do it, why not me?

When it comes to file cleaning- and this is where the poster started( I think) the files are best treated in dilute sulphuric acid passing an electric current through them.

And if this is written in code or something that cannot be understood- TELL ME.

When it comes to file cleaning- and this is where the poster started( I think) the files are best treated in dilute sulphuric acid passing an electric current through them.

And if this is written in code or something that cannot be understood- TELL ME.

Well I realy need info on this one "dilute sulphuric acid passing current" can you elaborate please
thanks

Good idea to use chalk. I never heard from that. Is baby chalk OK??
But I use Always a rust free steel hard brush to clean.

Barry

Well I realy need info on this one "dilute sulphuric acid passing current" can you elaborate please
thanks

Nothing more complicated than using the anode and cathode principle which not only dissolves the crap on the files- muck and pin-ings - but actually re-sharpens the worn teeth.

It's the old way and has been discussed and discussed.

I got a load of old files, chucked them in old battery acid and passed a current through like one does with cow's dick( caustic soda solution) to remove rust. There are two sorts of steel files- but I digress. I'll be accused yet again.

Clearer?

Norman

Last edited:
Good idea to use chalk. I never heard from that. Is baby chalk OK??
But I use Always a rust free steel hard brush to clean.

Barry

Baby powder IS talc or talcum powder- or French chalk.

Walk into a lady's or whatever sewing shop and buy a piece of tailors chalk.

I cannot recall when I first got this- it came from my old father who marked off castings and wheels and assorted full size machinery. It's one step up from marking out full size locomotives-- on the earth with a pointed stick.

My great and great great grandfather's way of making steam locos!

I suspect that the 'chalk' is some fancy and therefore expensive way of buying talc.
My old father used to buy a bit of French Chalk or acquire it from mum when she wasn't looking. Same old thing- mark off your welding or put in your sweaty trainers- if you must.
I 'm one of very old school who gets annoyed( there is another expression) when someone tries to flog me something basic with a pretty name.

One of my mates, Lord High Admiral, local mayor and ex- a lot of things including a mender of vacuum cleaners said that there was only two household detergents not 1001 and one! Could be right, too.
So to files. There's only two. One is the classic one from carbon steel and the other is simply casehardened - any old iron. Apart from having to grind off the teeth in the last, there is not a fat lot of second use. Other proper files will make- very nice lathe tools once all this bashing about with barbecue brushes( oh yes) and playing the three witches in Macbeth with fizzing old files in acid is useless.

But someone might say #Aahhhhhhhh, yessss#

Thank you

N

When I think of talc I think of a powder form... the only advantage of the "chalk" is the ability to apply it by rubbing a stick of it.

I like to use a lil piece of 1/16 or 1/8 thick aluminum and push the edge with downward pressure across the file going with the teeth. A few passes across creates the profile of the teeth "valleys" and pushes the crap out. Do this all the way and yer set. Good in a pinch! :)

In most cases, carding, or a good steel brush does the trick.

If your file is clogged with aluminium, soak in dilute sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) as this dissolves aluminium and it's alloys. If it's copper, nickel based or brass use ferric chloride (cheaply and easily available online) as this dissolves copper and nickel based alloys.

The only occasion where electrolytic cleansing is strictly necessary, is when the offending alloy has a high chromium content and you would use dilute sulphuric acid, such as that used to refill car batteries, with the anode (+) to the file and cathode (-) to a large steel washer immersed in the bath. Unfortunately though, it will also slightly erode the cutting edges of your file if left too long.

Actually it wasn't! It was French chalk
You are probably right. Still wish I could remember which book it was.

Other proper files will make- very nice lathe tools
Absolutely!
I have made many lathe tools from old square files salvaged at garage sales and pawn shops for $1 or less each.
The tool steel takes a very fine polish and turns aluminium very very well. I have never tried them on Brass, should give it a go.

If it's copper, nickel based or brass use ferric chloride (cheaply and easily available online) as this dissolves copper and nickel based alloys.

Not sure about Nickel, but for copper based alloys you can also use APS (Ammonium Persulphate)
Both Ferric Chloride and APS can be bought from any decent electronic component retailer as etchant for making PCB's (Printed Circuit Boards).
I had used both for many years but made the switch from Ferric Chloride to APS about 10 years ago. It is much quicker(with a bit of heat... around 60C) and it does not stain.
It will however quickly bleach any colour out of your clothing if you get splashed! Don't ask haha.

Tubal Cain wrote extensively in Model Engineer and eventually incorporated his words of wisdom in several books. Therefore, I would plump for his Handbook. If I am wrong, most of us will have still a wealth of experience.

One thing that I miss is the record of the endless exchange of information( and disagreement sometimes) that went on when he( Tom D Walshaw) and George Thomas met up and nattered into the early hours.

My own post bag still is loaded with questions that these two worthies could answered in minutes. I got one that arrived in the early hours. It was basic but so simple to answer. The hard job was to find out in my clutter where Martin Cleeve had written it up. The guy wanted a four way tool post, was stuck with an old incomplete lathe and Cleeve had made his out of 3 or 4 bits of mild steel. Not important to some of you but to this nice chap he had a stop in his hobby.

I might tell you when it all happens and whether his 'payment' in homemade plum brandy arrives!

Norman

No need for fancy French chalk. Ordinary blackboard chalk on the file before filing will help stop teeth clogging and pinning. Especially useful on aluminium. Blackboard chalk was all we used back in the day when toolmakers filed tool steel to shape before CNC were discovered.

These days at home I just use my workshop steel wire brush to clean files. Seems to work just fine. Been meaning to buy a proper file card for years but really don't need it.

HI:),
I use a File card to clean My Files. If I have some stubborn bits on the File, then I use the end of a screwdriver or scriber to get them out. I use Black Board Chalk on My Files before I file Aluminium.

Latest posts

Back