Farm Boy - Crankshaft Material?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgedde

Reaction score
I'm currently building the J.E. Howell Farm Boy engine. Mr Howell's prints call for use of Starrett ground O-1 bar stock for the crankshaft.

a 1 foot length of this stuff is around $60.

Should I bite the bullet and go with it? I can't help but think there must be a good reason for his choice. On the other hand, it is being employed in its annealled state and therefore I don't see the advantage.

What about 4140? Heck, why wouldn't 1018 be just a good a choice?

Can anyone provide insight into why Mr Howell chose O-1? Can you think of a suitable alternate material?

Thanks!
John

Plain old hot rolled 1018 will work fine for a crankshaft. Hotrolled will give less distortion as it is machined than cold rolled.

John, when I built mine I ordered some and it ended up being on backorder and I ended up using 1144 which is "stressproof" that Steve is talking about and it worked great. I still have the 0-1 but as easy as the 1144 machines and the beautiful finish will keep you using it forever. Plus the 1144 is stronger then we will ever need anyway. Brian ps, it's still one of my favorite engines

I'm currently building the J.E. Howell Farm Boy engine. Mr Howell's prints call for use of Starrett ground O-1 bar stock for the crankshaft.

a 1 foot length of this stuff is around $60.

Should I bite the bullet and go with it? I can't help but think there must be a good reason for his choice. On the other hand, it is being employed in its annealled state and therefore I don't see the advantage.

What about 4140? Heck, why wouldn't 1018 be just a good a choice?

Can anyone provide insight into why Mr Howell chose O-1? Can you think of a suitable alternate material?

Thanks!
John
McMaster.com W1 Tool Steel works great for crankshafts. Don't even heat treat it. This stuff is cheap & ground smooth & straight.

Hi

The drawings for one of my Breisch engine kits recommends forging an automobile axle and use it for the crankshaft. I just need to get the steam hammer finished first.

Tim.

Hi
I have used both 4140 and hot rolled, got a nicer finish with 4140. I have wanted to try 1144 but have only found in rounds, which is a lot of waste. Is it made in rectangle bars?

Bob

Latest posts

Back